Cuban Knight Anoles (informative thread)

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by 00luke00, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking lately, that in this forum, apart from the odd occasion, seem to deal with green anoles. I just wanted to kind of make an informative post, about info, and facts i've gathered from the past few months.

Cuban Knight Anole (Anolis equestris)

This amazing species, is one of the largest species of anole, growing upto 18", and have an average lifespan of 7-10 years in captivity. Although i don't know how reliable the lifespan is. These don't seem to be as commonly kept as their relatives, the Green Anole, so it could be argued that we don't have sufficient evidence to suggest this.

In the wild, they feed on a variety of different insects, but seem to adjust to commonly fed feeder insects in captivity. These include crickets, and the occasional mealworms. It is not set in stone how often these should be dusted with a calcium / multi-vitamin / d3 supplement, but i would dust around twice a week with the calcium, once with the multi-vits, and once a month with the d3. This is just my opinion though.

Most of these anoles, don't seem able to recognise still drinking water, and prefer to drink it off the leaves. This shouldn't be a problem though, as you will need to be misting 1-3 times a day to keep up the humidity to around 80%.

Temperature wise, these prefer it at around 85F, give or take a few degrees, with a basking spot of around 90F. Like i said before though, information is pretty scarce about these lizards, so the temps may be a few degrees off.

These animals are diurnal, and therefore we need to try our best to imitate the rays they get from the sun. UV flourescent tubes are usually the best way to go, although there are a few better brands out there too. If you decided to go with the repti-glo, i'd go with the 5.0 bulb.

Cuban anoles, seem to prefer climbing, and are therefore aboreal. That doesn't mean that they won't venture down onto the ground, just that they prefer to spend most of their time hanging out in the trees. In captivity, this should be imitated with a tall cage. I would recommend at least 4' high enclosure for the lizard to thrive. I'd go as far as saying maybe a 5' would be better.

Substrate is also another thing which is not set in stone. However, i'd say go with something that won't cause too much harm if ingested, and that holds humidity well.

All in all, i think these are a spectacular species. I hope to get my hands on one someday.

If anybody disagrees with anything, or has anything to add, feel free to say.

Finally, just thought i'd include a couple of pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

RE: Cuaban Knight Anoles (informative thread)

Good post Luke. You could also state the temperature that is needed in the enclosure. There is one in my Local pet store but I currently dont have an extra enclosure for it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

Lol, good point thanks. How could i miss the temperature! I believe these prefer it at around 85F, give or take a few degrees, with a basking spot of around 90F. Like i said before though, information is pretty scarce about these lizards, so the temps may be a few degrees off.

I also just remembered that i didn't include the necessity for UV. These animals are diurnal, and therefore we need to try our best to imitate the rays they get from the sun. UV flourescent tubes are usually the best way to go, although there are a few better brands out there too. If you decided to go with the repti-glo, i'd go with the 5.0 bulb.

**EDIT: I've now added this info onto the main caresheet**

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mike15

mike15 New Member

great post luke, very informative ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

today we picked up one of these neat guys at our new pet shop. I hope he does well!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

That's great news ludo. I wish him all the best of luck, and why not post some pictures of him!

12. 00luke00

I've already had to split two topics out of this sticky, so i'm gonna go ahead and lock it now, it's best left for informational purposes :D Thanks for all the comments guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.