Custom Sliding Top Terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by GaTo, Oct 24, 2007.

1. GaTo

GaTo Embryo

Hey guys i have an old 29 gallon tank lying around dimensions are as follows

30" x 12" x 18"

there isn't a top on the tank and because of the dimensions i actually want to lie the tank down on it's side (so that the floor is 18" instead of 12") and the open top will face me.

My dilemma is that i need to put a cover on there. Is their a place to get a custom top made that's either a sliding cover or preferably a door?

Any help?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ria

Ria Member

I don't know about getting something custom made, but I have two 29 gals housing leos and there is lots of space not used, so I did what you described, tipping the tank onto its side, but DIY-ed it instead :)

I just got hold of a set of door runners, two pieces of plexiglass, drilled air holes into the plexiglass, siliconed the runners to the tank and fit the doors! I'm just waiting for the silicone to set and stop being so smelly and my leo is going to have a lush new home.

I know you can buy lids for tanks that have sliding doors and screens fitted, but I'm not sure how secure they'd be seeing as they rely on gravity to keep them in place... just a thought?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GaTo

GaTo Embryo

ria where have you seen these covers?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

Can you post a pic when you get a chance?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ria

Ria Member

I saw them online, it was an american online shop, so I didn't pay too much attention seeing as I live in the UK. I'll have a look around though.

Liquid Squelch, Did you want a pic of my tank or the lid or was that directed at someone else?

EDIT: lllreptile have some screen lids, but these weren't the ones I had previously seen http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptil...es/screen-lids/
    ... again, not the same kind that I've seen, but some more screen tops that could be used http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=208

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Jay Cordeiro

Jay Cordeiro Embryo