CWD wont eat :(

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Feircedsm, May 31, 2006.

1. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Hey. I have a Chinese wate dragon and lately he doesnt want to eat. for about a week or two now hes been acting really different. my mom fed him once and he ate a super or two. but thats all hes really eaten in a long time. i think he may be impacted though because he doesnt sleep on the tree i have in there like on the higher grounds. now he sleeps leaning against it like the tree is a pillow. Hes about a 1.5 to 2 years old now and 19 inches long. his main diet is super worms and giant meal worms, mostly supers though. I normaly have a bowl for food for him or i hold the worms and he eats it outta the tweezer things. Does anyone have suggestions? taking him to the vet is hard though because not many nearby herp vets around. but i guess a vet is a vet.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xTBx

xTBx New Member

Soak it in warm water for a while and rub it's belly. Take it to a vet, phone your local pet stores, the ones that carry reptiles, and ask where they take their animals when they aren't looking too hot. Stop feeding Supers and King mealies and start feeding crickets to your animal. Best of luck to you and your dragon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

A vet is not just a vet, it needs to be a reptile vet or you will just waste your money on bogus advice and treatments that may possibly hurt your dragon.

What are the temps? How long have you had your dragon for?

Like xTBx said, soak your dragon in warm water to maintain hydration and attempt to pass the possibly impaction...

www.herpvetconnection.com helps you to find a vet

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

ive been soaking him in water and hes been letting out very small amounts. and i think it might be temperatures because lately it got very hot very quick in my area lately. normal temps range from 90F on one side of tank and 65-80 on the cool side. lately for past two weeks its been in the 100s and the cool side 80F so i think that may be it. but any other thing? and for crickets are hard to maintain how many should i feed it and how do i take care of crickets?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mooch

mooch Embryo

Get a calcium substitute, I recommend Fluker's, and when you buy the crickets just take a spoonful of the powder and dump it in the bag. shake the bag up until the crickets are coated in it. then feed to your dragon. He could also be malnourished. I he's still having troubles, I would definately lower the heat a bit. On really humid days, I leave my dragon's heating lamp off, it gets too hot otherwise. I would also try feeding your dragon some fruits and veggies if he'll take them. Mine likes a bit of banana every now and then. It might keep hydration up. I normally feed my dragon mealworms, crickets and bits of soft fruits. He's a hyper little guy! lol. Hope this helps ^^

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

well i give my dragon calcium supplements everytime i feed him.

12. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Mooch, I'd personally stay away from Flukers (there's a post with some links on the BD forum...check it out...) A really ood calcium source is Rep-Cal w/ D3.

Feicedsm, have you tried feeding him seperately? Mine gave me a hard time, but he's eats like a pig lol. Or they LOOOOVE earthworms, that may peak his appetite a bit for you.

The temps are definately a bit high ( needs to be around 86-88 w/ 95's for basking). He may just be on a hunger strike though, mine gets pissy every few weeks! Especially if he's going to be shedding soon!

~Michelle

13. mooch

mooch Embryo

I've used Fluker's for years Michelle, I've never had a problem with it. 0.o

14. shortygirl

Never said you did, but as a company...well, I guess we all have opinions, eh?

I personally, as I said, try not to use thier products after reading up on them, but that's just me.

~Michelle

15. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

yea i read up on the flukers thing too. i think there just trying to make money and not make money and good products but i guess thats the way of business.

and what can i feed my wd? i havent started feeding it fruits or veges yet but i heard they like bannanas and melon. im somewhat skeptical on giving him earth worms though because they can have chemicals from fertilzers and chemicals from previous times. Especially if there from the outside you dont know what kind of bacteria they might contain.

16. mooch

mooch Embryo

my wd likes bananas. :)

17. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Becarefull with d3, animals can overdose on it. Also you want to stop feeding giant mealworms, if that hasnt been said already. They are fine as fishing bait, but not as pet food. Giant meal worms are fed steroids that stop them from pupating and cause them to grow to larger than normal sizes.

18. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

It is almost impossible to overdose on dietary D3 with over the counter calcium powders. But the poster states they are already giving supplementdustings...

Just one thing more I want to state about the topic of calciums. We never recommend *any* Fluker products on this site, as one of the people that was directly involved with the owners and Pet stores that were shipped Fluker Farms reptiles and also saw the necropsy and lab reports of thier animals, this is not a company that anyone who cares about reptiles would want to recommend. The past two messes with FLuker Farms and their reptiles, and how they treated owners tells me more than I ever care to know about any company. Combine that with how many companies they start up and hide the ownership of so people do not know it is Flukers, should make everyone question why.

For the poster, please see the articles on impactions at this link, althought it mostly is for bearded dragons, it also works on water dragons and we get a lot of email from vets and ownere telling us that they recommended this routine and it worked instead of jumping into surgery. http://www.reptilerooms.com/forward.php?impaction Impaction in reptiles

Chances are the temps dehydrated your dragon a bit and now he is simply constipated or a bit bound up, just like humans can get when they do not have enough fluids intake and too much heat. Make sure your dragon has fresh water every day to drink and soak in.

19. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Thanks a lot guys! I didn't feel that safe so i brought him to a vet to check it out. He's ok just a little bit moody from temperature changes and he has a internal mite infestation so i ordered some stuff off line to help him out should be here on Tuesday :( so hes just getting used to his new viv i just put together. It's for my Sav when i get him but figureds my WD could start getting used to a larger habitat. Anyways thanks for your replies they helped me a lot.

20. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Internal mite infestation? What do you mean - do you mean your dragon has parasites internally? If so you will want your vet to deworm your dragn with medication in addition to whatever product you ordered offline....what product did u order?

21. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Yea, he has some kind of worm or mites internally.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptil...s/-/worm-guard/

thats the stuff i ordered should help him out. The vet said its ok to have worms because it helps there immune system but sometimes its ok to keep the worms in check so they dont get out of hand.

22. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

I wonder too what this internal mites might be

23. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Mites are just like those little white bugs you see but the thing is they can get inside there boddies and just kinda be like a host. They mainly are like really small versions of ticks.

24. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

I'm rather worried :? i found these in Garys viv (the small white things) I'm using loose wood substrate (I don't know what kind of wood it is) I'll try and get a pic of them......

Should I change the substrate...if so what too????? :) :?

25. shortygirl

Get everything out of the tank, wash it & all his furniture with a 10% bleach solution & make sure you air everything out really well. I've found the "Mite-Off" works well, you can use it right on your dragon. I had one mite infestation in Draco's tank when he was younger, and thankfully haven't had a repeat. It's fairly easy to treat as long as you're really thorough. Let me know how it goes,

~Michelle