Deadline to Save Reptile Hobby: October 15th

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by JEFFREH, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Cat Ex Action Alert!

Action Alert: Cat Ex: Deadline Oct. 15: This alert addresses the USFWS proposal to list any species as injurious without full due process (i.e. no scientific support, no research, no economic impact study, etc.). Interstate commerce, interstate transport and importation are all illegal for any species listed as injurious. This categorical exclusion affects a huge portion of the pet community as any species could be listed (ALL reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, mammals and invertebrates). Any species listed would vanish from the pet community. There are four simple steps at the link below. Complete them all, share the alert and protect your herp community. http://usark.org/action-alert/usfws-categorical-exclusion-2/. View information about the Cat Ex hearing that was held in September at this link http://usark.org/uncategorized/catex-update-and-usark-in-d-c-92413/.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You can accomplish 3 of the 4 steps (the fourth being a sent letter) within about 5-10 minutes... do your part to save the hobby!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Done :) hope I'm not too late...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HerpetologyLover

HerpetologyLover New Member

No way would I let this happen with me wanting to become a herpetologist when I grow up. I just feel bad I didn't find out until it was too late to send an e-mail.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Jeff, any update on legislation? I don't think anything has been passed in NY...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

I don't understand how they can outlaw people from keeping reptiles!! There is a lot of us out there and it would be like outlawing dogs and cats which would never happen!!

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Not to mention domestic cats and dogs are MAGNITUDES more dangerous to people, other pets, and the environment as a whole... but because they are now commonplace and "cute and furry" the general public will opt to focus on the "different" or irrationally "scary" pets.

The fundamental issue with this legislation isn't only the fact that they are targeting reptiles, but the fact that this would provide the power to add species as injurious with virtually no scientific evidence beyond the due process of law. I'm surprised it has made it to this point under that notion alone!

ReptileRhett likes this.
  13. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

Yeah I agree, I do have lots of dogs though. I did go and sign!!