Desert Lizards?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Salstang00, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Salstang00

Salstang00 New Member

What kind of lizards are good for a moderate experienced person? Looking for a desert type lizard. Bearded dragon, Frilled Lizard.... what else is out there? Any pics?
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

bearded dragons need a pretty large cage (at *least* a 40 gallon breeder*, but they are GREAT lizards and easy to care for. i would highly recommend them.

i don't know much about frilleds, so i can't help you there.

i know there are a few species of small plated lizards that are from the desert (like the yellow-throated plated lizard) that would be a great desert lizard. they can't be housed together unless you want babies or you want your males to kill each other, though. a yellow-throated plated adult would need at *least* a 20 gallon long tank and, even though they are a desert species, they are actually pretty good in water so i'd give them a dish a couple inches deep by 6-8 inches in diameter (or square equivilant).

there are also some desert geckos that would be great. viper geckos and leopard geckos come to mind, but i'm sure there are more. vipers can't be housed together. i'm not sure if leo's can be housed together. viper geckos stay really small and one would only need at *least* a 5 gallon tank. leo's get bigger though and one should have at *least* a 10 gallon.

can't think of any other good ones right now but whatever you get, make sure you NEVER use 'calci-sand' or 'repti-sand' or any commercial or play sand or wood chips (or really anything small enough for them swallow) - it causes bowel impactions. also, don't forget that housing different species together can be really bad, too.

good luck! :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

Uromastyx are a good choice. I know a couple of people who have them and they love them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Derek

Derek Member

agamids I have talked to some people that hae them. I would recomend a bearded dragon though If a bearded dragon is to big for you I would check out rankins dragons http://www.sundialreptile.com/rankins3m.htm they are much smaller than the popular Pogona vitticeps

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Salstang00

Salstang00 New Member

Thanks everyone, Im going to do a lil more research I am down to Bearded Dragon or a frilled lizard.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Derek

Derek Member

Good choices there both great lizards.

12. Sirch

Sirch Member

i have a beardie and im soon gonna get a leo

13. Derek

Derek Member

cool how old is your beardie

14. Schneider_Skinks

Schneider_Skinks Embryo

Schneider skinks are a good desert reptile for a moderately experienced reptile owner. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Tim

15. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

Hi Salstang. Beardies are great as a first lizard. I would say thought that you need aminimum of at least a 65 gallon (I'm in UK so don't actually know what size guide you would use!) for 1 adult beardie. Also, you will need UVB and heat sources and lots of climbing, basking, hiding areas too.

Beardies are sociable and fun to watch and play with, tolerate handling well and are generally quite easy to care for once you have established a good routine.

Maybe you could post up on the bearded section to see what others recommend you do to research your new pet ;)