difference in white or black throat??

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Hey
    I should know this because I have a blackthroat monitor, but I have just started really getting involved in monitors. I was always a lizard freak, but I was interested in something with more of a personality and attitude and realized how monitors are just spectacular animals. ANYWAYS I'm getting a bunch of different statements, but here's my question:

What is the difference between Whitethroat and Blackthroat monitors?? Is there a physical difference at all? Are they the same animal with just a different scientific name, or what?? I want to purchase a whitethroat, but all the places I'm looking at sell "whitethroat/blackthroat monitors" implying that they're just the same animal with 2 diff names. Also...if anyone can tell me of a place that does sell whitethroats (if they are different from blackthroats of course) i'd be very grateful
    Thanks!!!!!!
    ryanne
    rpdemello@aol.com
    feel free to email, im open to chat netime.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it was something pretty recent to have changed the scientific name of the black throat, it used to be Varanus ionidesi and that is why they are called "Ionides", now it is a subspecies of the whitethroats who are Varanus albigularis.the new name for blackthroats are Varanus albugularis microstictus but most people consider them the same thing which is a very common mistake. coloring is the major difference between these wto monitors and also price. whitethroats cost more then blackthroats, i dont know why to be honest i guess its coloring. hatcling whitethroats have more yellow spots on their back and yellow on their tail, but both species usually loose this as they mature.
    here is a hedshot of a whitethroat
    [​IMG]

here is a headshot of a blackthroat
    [​IMG]

it is pretty hard to find someone that actually sells whitethroats, most sell black and pass them off as white.
    www.proexotics.com sells blackthroats try contacting them and they may be able to help you out

i hope this helps

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ryzard

ryzard New Member

hey, thanks alot, yeah that does help. Do you have any idea how much more a whitethroat costs? I really am on a search to find one, if there's anyone you know of that I can find one from can ya let me know?
    ryanne

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

try anywhere from 50-100 more for a hatchling to 1,2,300 or more for an adult or juvie. if i find anyone that has them i will let you know.