DISCOID ROACHES

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by barlifter, May 11, 2006.

1. barlifter

barlifter New Member

discoid roaches............... i wanna kno everythign about them hwo the setup has to be what they eat how long it takes them to reproduce how much of a mess they make how much they smell....how to dust them and pick them up i dunno jus tell me everything u kno if u own/breed them

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

They don't make much of a mess and they don't smell! So much easier than crickets to care for! For a set-up, you'll need to have a big tupperware container and you'll need to cover a lot of the bottom with a UTH or Flexwatt (keep the temperatures constant with a thermostat about 80 F for feeders, 95 F for breeders). They also like to hide in dark places, so it's good to get a couple egg crates that'll create some spaces for them, or even paper towel or toilet paper rolls. Water you can use fruits or veggies like you do with worms and crickets, and you can provide a shallow water dish with paper towels at the bottom.

As far as breeding, I haven't hit that part of the roach keeping experience... so somebody better suited to answer that question should chime in!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pigger93

pigger93 Member

can anoles eat them or are they to big?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

When you breed your own you will have sizes ranging from 3/16" on up to 2" on hand at all times.

12. pigger93

pigger93 Member

o thanx i think i mite breed them i would just sell the big 1's to pet stores

13. Eirecorcaigh

I gave my anole a teeny discoid today, he loved it! So now I have absolutely no reason to keep the stinky little crickets around!

14. barlifter

barlifter New Member

thanks for the info shrap dacubs and everyone heres a few questions
    1.whats the diffrence between a nymph and an adult
    2. where do i get flexwatt tape
    3. shrap are the owner of discoid roaches.com?
    4 do i really need two tubs a breeding tub and a tub jus for feeders?
    5 ne thing else i should kno?
    6 random question but if i start breeding my own leopard geckos can u sell the offspring to petsmarts? or petcos or nething? (i kno this has nothing to do with the roaches)

15. shrap

1. Nymphs are just pre adults.
    2. You can use a UTH too, but flexwatt can be found at www.beanfarm.com under the heating section
    3. Yes
    4. No
    5. If you have any questions or are not sure about anything just ask. I am always happy to help people.
    6. Not sure barlifter, never tried. You can control the amount offspring simply by figuring out how many feeders you have each month and just keeping the amount of adults you need to make that many each month.

16. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Re: RE: DISCOID ROACHES

You would be better off to keep the big ones for yourself to keep your colony going. No one who sells them will sell you adults, they are too important to let go.

barlifter

Nymphs are baby roaches, adults are adults and have wings.

you can get flexwatt from www.beanfarm.com

shrap is the owner

If you are breeding and feeding then its really best to have two tubs so you don't disturb the adults when looking for ones to feed off. It also helps slow down the growth rates on the nymphs so you'll always have the right size on hand. If breeding adults are disturb too much they can abort the egg sack whcih the carry inside them til the babies hatch at which point they "give birth"

Things to know....Dicoids are very shy and would rather be left alone. Try differnt fruit mushes to see what they like the best. It's really difficult to screw up with roaches and you'll find that your leos feeding response is much more aggressive with them than with other feeders.

As for selling the leos, that depends on your local store. I personally would not sell any animal to big store like petsmart of petco but if any store did buy them, you can expect about 1/3 of what they would sell for in the store.

17. Eirecorcaigh

1. Nymphs are like juvenile roaches, younger and smaller.
    2. You can get flexwatt at various herp supply stores. I believe www.mgreptiles.com has it, and www.proexotics.com might also carry it.
    3. Shrap is the owner of www.discoids.com, yes. :(
    4. You would need to seperate the breeders and the feeders from each other. The feeders are basically going to be the nymphs, and the breeders will be your group of adults.
    5. Food! The best stuff on the market for feeders is the roach food from www.cricketfood.com.
    6. A fate worse than death! I don't believe they accept animals from private breeders, so you probably wouldn't be able to sell to them anyway, but the animals in those types of shops (not always, but 90% of the time) are improperly cared for, and you have know idea who will be walking away with one. I happened to get one of my leos from a private non-profit breeder that my sister works with. He does it as a hobby (as of right now, just breeds normals... no unusual morphs). He breeds them, finds good homes for all them. He gave one to me because my sister told him that I had four other leos at home, and knew how to properly care and set-up a home for it.

18. barlifter

barlifter New Member

ok shrap thanks i read up on them whut is the constant temp i should have them at and i will be sure to buy some now that i have learned how great they are and i jus feel like helpin out ur awesome business because

1. from what i hear they are a way better deal then crickets mealworms supers or nething
    2.they reproduce easy
    3. they dont stink (glad about that)
    and alot more stuff

but yeh im about to go to walmart ima pick up what i need

19. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

For breeding 90-100F warm and 80-85F cool, just use a flex over the entire bottom and create your heat gradient vertically. Feeders can be kept around 80 to keep their growth rate down.

20. barlifter

barlifter New Member

alright thanks for all tha help i learned all i need except whats the substrate called for the roaches again can i get it at wal mart?
    and oh yea cerus hows the eggs goin ne more hatch yet? i saw that one topic in the leopard gecko forum of those two that hatched

21. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

The bedding is called Aspen and you can get it from garden center type places pretty cheap. Just make sure you bake it at 300 for 20 minutes first to kill off any potential problems.

The next three are due in the next three weeks, just the two babies right now and 4 more after the next three hatch.

22. shrap

Discoids dont need a substrate, it is completely optional. But you can use aspen, eco earth, etc, if you choose. As long as it is organic.

23. barlifter

barlifter New Member

alright sounds good cant wait to see how much my geckos will like them/grow

24. barlifter

barlifter New Member

oh yea shrap one more thing as well why dont u sell adult roaches?

25. ellman605

ellman605 Member

because he needs them to breed more to sell