discoids

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by LittleLouie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I was given a discoid colony. They are doing well enough; in fact I tend to have more than I can use, and have given them away to friends.

As many of you know, I have leopard geckos. It seems that my geckos do not like them.

Boo will not touch them at all.

Mokey will eat one or two if he's hungry, but that's it (he would eat six or more crickets)

Trey, if they are all he has been offered for the last several days, he'll eat one.

Seisyll, if she is fed a cricket and then accidentally pounces on a discoid, will spit the discod out, even if it's been several days since she has been offered anything else.

Sabbath refuses to touch them

Nona will also spit them out if her hunting instinct causes her to strike at one

DZ might eat two if he is really hungry

Dozen refuses them altogether

Louie will occasionally eat one, if she is really hungry, but has also been known to spit them out

Omega will usually eat 4-10 small ones if he's hungry.

******************************************************************************

Is this typical? Is it just my geckos, or do others have problems with their geckos altogether not liking discoids?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i hope its not common since ive been planning on starting a colony for my leos. are they usually picky eaters? it does seem odd that none of them would like them

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LittleLouie

The adults are more picky, I think. The babies all are happy to eat meal worms and crickets; the ones that my cousin kept for me all tried superworms too, and she said that they ate them just fine.

Boo will only eat crickets and occasionally mealworms.

Mokey will eat crickets if I hold them for him, superworms, and a discoid or two. I think he doesn't eat mealworms because his eyesight is poor and he can't see them. He also will not eat small crickets. He loves crickets, just can't catch them unless I hold them by a back leg. Even then, he misses more often than he gets one. I think he seriously needs glasses lol. At least he strikes gently . . . I've had him miss the cricket and bite my thumb or finger many times, but he is gentle and it doesn't hurt. I think his pickiness is more due to eyesight than anything else.

The babies . . . all eat crickets very readily, and most are happy with mealworms to munch on. I understand that the half that tried them liked their superworms.

But the discoids . . . half of them will only eat one or two discoids if they are hungry and discoids are the only thing that has been offered for the past few days. The other half refuse them altogether . . . and then one little guy seems to really like them.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had leos that really liked them, and if so, how did you raise your discoids; what did you feed them; is there anything you did to make them more taisty for your geckos?

If general consensus is that while leos can eat discoids, they generally don't like them, or there is nothing I can feed them to make them taste better, then I think I will try to find some local reptile enthusiast with a larger lizard who will enjoy them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lanejared

lanejared Embryo

Hello ,
    Thanks for sharing your experience on the forum.
    It will really helpful for everyone.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LittleLouie

Me - Here you go, how about a discoid dinner tonight

geckos - But mom, you offered us discods last night; and we didn't eat them then. You really don't expect us to eat them tonight, do you? Please, isn't there anything else?

Me - You guys have just about finished off the crickets and the meal worms. We need to save them back. From now until I get the colonies going well again, we'll be serving mealies once a week, crickets once a week, and discoids all other meals. So if you're hungry, eat.

2 geckos - well, if there's nothing else, alright.

8 geckos - Then I'll wait for cricket and mealworm night.

------guess we'll wait and see how things go with this schedule. ----------

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shanna66

lol, thats so cute. i can just picture their unhappy little faces trying to think up ways to get rid of the roaches without eating them XD maybe they will hide them under their water bowls :eek:

12. LittleLouie

Unfortunately, hides, paper towels, and cracks between tile and tank all make great discoid hiding places.

13. Shanna66

maybe you should tell them they can have some nice, fat waxworms after they finish their roaches lol

14. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

lol lol lol :)
    get them what they like, why do you expect them to eat something really new and kinda "disgusting"? :eek: :p

15. LittleLouie

Yay!

A few days ago, two of my "no discoid" geckos decided to make a meal of them. To celebrate, everyone got crickets the next day. Not surprisingly, no one wanted discoids yesterday, but today two more of my "no discoid" geckos decided to have a discoid dinner! Only one is still completely refusing them.

I've offered discoids to them in addition to other feeders all along. It's just been the last few weeks, when my cricket die-off went high and the young ones haven't yet grown up to feeder size that I started offering discoids as their staple with crickets or meal worms added a couple days a week to give them variety.

I've still got a large colony of reproducing adults and probably a thousand or more babies leo-sized and smaller. As a feeder for my geckos, I really don't care for them, and the geckos seem to agree with me on that.

If anyone knows of other species of reptiles who actually like them (as compared to suppose to like them), I would like to know what they are so I can advertise and hopefully find a home locally for these prolific, high-protein, soft-shelled nutritious beetles.