Do beardies Bite

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by montana, Dec 14, 2004.

1. montana

montana Embryo

:roll: Hi i am just want to know if beardies bite

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Not usually. In all the time I've been keeping them, I've only ever been bitten once (by accident, she was going for a superworm) and didn't even break the skin. Cheri's been bitten a couple of times too (only once intentionally, and it was just a lil guy).

Some breeders don't handle their babies, and sometimes the babies never even see humans except at feeding & cleaning time, so they can be a little stand-offish. As they grow, and get used to the human contact, they become super mellow. :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptile_lover01

reptile_lover01 Embryo

They don't have very powerful jaws do they? Are there teeth like that of an green iguana?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They can chomp through dry Rep-Cal pellets like they're nothing. Just try putting one of those between your fingers and squishing it - not an easy thing to do :)

So yes, they have pretty powerful jaws for their size when they need them to be.

Their teeth appear similar to an iguanas in that they are similarly shaped, yes.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BD59602

BD59602 New Member

what axe said, there bite probably isnt as bad as an iguanas, i have seen some pretty nasty bites from iguanas. my friend got bit in the face by one, even tho it was one of the funniest things i ever saw :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, an iguana bite is a seriously bad bite... A beardy couldn't do anywhere near the damage an iggy could, but they can still draw blood :)

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

It's also not as bad I think because usually when an iguana bites you it wants to HURT YOU, but when a beardie bites it's usually either just a warning, or an accident.

But yeah, it can hurt.