do it yourself incubator

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

hey just thought id share an easy affordable way to make a precise clean professional looking incubator for about 1/3 what they cost commercially.
    I started with a regular igloo cooler, mounted and wired a johnson controls thermostat to a peice of heat tape wich is mounted to the bottom floor of the cooler. ran the wire out where the cooler drain used to be, added some cheap shelves from walmart and some four qt shoe box size sterilite containers. I also cut a whole in the lid and caulked a peice of plexi glass down for a veiwing window. It can achieve and maintain temps in excess 100 degrees (not needed) but will maintain whatever temp you need withing 1 to 2 degrees differential. All in all it cost about 150 +/- to build in materials.
    here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that is awsome thanks for the info

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lacerta

lacerta Member

I'm impressed! It is free-thinking, innovative folks such as yourself that advance the hobby. To many mind-numbed sheep out there are willing to be slaves to the overpriced junk sold in petstores. Maybe not all of it is junk, but with some good old-fashioned American ingenuity you can get alot farther. That's the way our forefathers would have done it (if they had digital thermometers, thermostats, and plastic products back then).
    Well done !!
    George

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

thanx

thank you, if i can help i figured that the animals are expensive enough way pay ana rm and a leg for the incubator as well?
    lol
    thanks
    scott