do leopard geckos like water ?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ashley73386, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ashley73386

ashley73386 New Member

Do leopard geckos like water? Like to soak in the bath tub if they had excess skin they didn't shed?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

well naturally deep water means danger to them. they cant swim wich is one of the reasons u need a shallow water dish but if u want to soak them just take a shallow but big dish and put warm but not hot water in the dish. with the gecko in ur hands gentley dip him in the water. this can be done with any age of a leo but it has to be tame and the water needs to be really shallow for a baby maybe to stomach level. i have heard of people creating suds with a safe soap to clean wounds and to get skin off but im not exactly sure what exactly is "safe" soap for leos

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

the best way (and by best I mean least stressful) to get off stuck shed, is to wet the end of a q-tip, and gently blot of the spot of skin. But this should not be done until you are sure that the leo is done shedding. Remember, it can take quite some time for them to finish shedding completely. I usually wait until the next day to help them, but usually by the next morning, they have gotten it all off themselves. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Leos usually aren't too crazy about baths, but it's a good thing to know. A bath can help remove difficult sheds as well as help things move along with mild impactions.
    Lukewarm water no higher than the shoulders is the standard set up for a leo bath.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jammer

jammer Member

Leos live where it is pretty hot and dry. The only moisture they come across is from the humidity in a den or burrow that they would shelter in from the heat of the day.