do snakes have legs?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by mekiki, Apr 14, 2004.

1. mekiki

mekiki Embryo

Hello to all,

First time here, nice site. Came here seeking an answer to my question, hopefully someone can help. I live in a hilly area in southern california that has more than its share of lizards and rattle snakes. This past month a boy on his way to school was bitten by an 18'' baby rattler and the following day another rattle snake, 5 ft. long, was found in someone else's garage.

Well today while outside of my house I saw a snake. It was long, thin (no belly section) and had a flatten head, it was a snake. Had my mom come outside and she too saw the snake. While she and I were debating what to do, it crawled off on its small legs and went under our house.

What the heck is going on? What was it? A snake or a lizard? Cuz one can stay, but the other's got to go.

Mekiki

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member

How big was it? What color was it? If it had legs, it wasn't a snake. My guess is some kind of skink. :lol:

Rav

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mekiki

mekiki Embryo

thank you for taking time to answer, Ravnos

it was about 18 inches and its colors were dark, such as black and dark grey or brown. the legs were almost non-existent or underdeveloped, very odd. a skink?

mekiki

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

If this animal had four fully functioning legs, then it was not a snake. And at 18 inches, I can't think of or find any references to any lizard that would match that description. Are you sure about the length? Were there any other markings?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mekiki

mekiki Embryo

my mom said it was between 12 and 18 inches. It did have a triangle pattern that started at the head and ran down the middle of its back to its end, the triangles were overlapping, sort of. It also "played dead" until we moved away from it and had begun talking, that's when it walked under our front steps.

Hope this helps,

mekiki

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

12. mekiki

mekiki Embryo

thanks for the links, ill check it out and let you know

mekiki

13. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member