Do snakes need a calcium supplement

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by zoro, Aug 4, 2007.

1. zoro

zoro New Member

Need to know if I have to give my snake a calcium supplement can't find anything on the web. If I do will it hurt it or not. Or does it need to have it dusted on it's mice.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

There is no need to supplement. They get all the calcium and nutrients they need from the mice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zoro

zoro New Member

Ok thanks wasn't sure and how deep can the water dish be?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

What kind of python do you have? It should be deep enough that the snake can soak if it wants to, some really like a good soak and some don't but the dish should allow it to if it wants to.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. zoro

zoro New Member

I have children's python and it likes to swim around in its water dish espcially after he eats so i thought i might make a deeper one but i did not know if it was ok or not

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpluver

herpluver New Member

I had an employee from a pet store tell me the same thing yesterday about snakes needing extra calcium. He said I should dust the food with pure calcium powder. I had never heard of this before either and have never done it. Does anybody do this?

12. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Like said before, its not needed. The mice give them enough calicum. I have heard of people giving gravid females a little calcium to help egg production.

13. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

I have heard of people putting some into the dead food items mouth because they were worried if they coated it that the snake might taste that and reject the food. I am pretty sure it wouldnt hurt the snake but really not worth the time or effort IMO.