does anyone kinow the difference between

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by beardiedragon, Jan 27, 2005.

1. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Member

Nolvasan (chlorhexidine diacetate) and Chlorhexidine gluconate - 2% ???

I think someone asked this before but I never saw an answer

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. thecrewdawg

thecrewdawg Member

I ran across that when I was looking for the Nolvasan for dealing with my dragons coccidia. I think the gluconate is a oral rinse.

Here, I found this:

Information on Chlorhexidine Gluconate
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution
    Chemical Name: CHLORHEXIDINE (klor-HEX-i-deen)

Common uses
    This medicine is an antimicrobial oral rinse used to treat redness and swelling of the gums. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Member

Yes that applies to both gluconate and diacetate. That's why you can use it as a topical and not worry about them drinking it. There is also a 4% solution that is used as a scrub.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tmx

tmx New Member

Hmm, i'm not sure if this will help any... It kinda sounds like from what I've read, that it's basically the same just mixed differentley i guess? I don't know how to put it simply... But here's some definetions i found...

CH-GLUCONATE: Chlorhexidine Gluconate

This is acidic solution of chlorhexidine base in water having pH between 5.5 to 7. Different strength of CH-Gluconate solutions are prepared in water using D-Gluconic acid. Our CH-Gluconate solution is 20% by strength (range from 19 to 21%), having antiseptic usage.

CH-ACETATE: Chlorhexidine Acetate

Diacetate derivative of chlorhexidine base having crystalline nature. This material has molecular formula - C22H30Cl2N10-2C2H4O2 and molecular wt. - 625.56 with melting point 154-155 C and CAS No - [56-95-11].

CH-BASE: Chlorhexidine Base
    [N,N" - Bis(4-chlorophenyl)-3,12-diimino-2,4,11,13-tetraazatetradecanediimidamide] is generally used as antiseptic/disinfectant due to its antibacterial activity. This long chain molecule has molecular formula - C22H30Cl2N10, molecular wt. - 505.46 and CAS No- [55-56-1] and melting point - 134 C.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Member

Not really sure what that means... does it kill coccidia?

anyone using Quatricide?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tmx

tmx New Member

Hmm, from what i've read i would say yes. Heres one article that seems rather researched well about it...

http://home.comcast.net/~holachapulin/Parasites.html

She has down that most WON'T kill it but few will as listed. and here is the list...

"Rinse well. Steam cleaners work great as they don't use any chemicals and the steam (over 165 degrees F) kills coccidia oocysts. You'd be surprised to hear that most disinfectants will not kill coccidia oocysts. The best methods for killing coccidia oocysts are: bleach water solution, steam cleaning (temp above 165 degrees F), Nolvasan (with a contact time 15 minutes minimum), and a 10% ammonia solution. Also, boiling or baking cage furniture will kill oocysts"

12. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

So we are certain Nolvasan does kill coccidia. That's good to know.

13. beardycrazy

beardycrazy Embryo

yes definately i have use nolvascan on my friends dragon an it cleared coccidia

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

omg, I just realized what this is! I usually just skim over the big words thinking "eh, what would I know about that?"

But I was JUST on another website and came to a product "Chlorhexidine (Generic Nolvasan)" and a light bulb went off in my head. Chlorhexidine! I work in a dentist office. We sell this stuff every day. I've had access to it this entire time. :roll:

Wow, do I feel like a doofus. I never thought the mouthwash we sell in the dentist office was freaking Nolvasan. I have the motherload!

15. outback_fire

outback_fire Member

Hahahahaha...lol....LMAO right now!!!! next time im at the dentist im gonna ask for some Chlorhexidine...but ask for it like this " can i have some Nolvasan "? they will look at me like what the hell are you talking about? and i will say, you know Chlorhexidine??? and my dentist will still be insanly creeped out that i know another word for Chlorhexidine.....

Kephy explain to me exactly how u use Nolvasan....i never got it...is it a liquid or what? i've heard it helps burns and also (now) parasites.... oh, btw, im Still LMAO right now!

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

For lizards or for people? LOL

It's a liquid. You dilute it with water and apparently it's great for cleaning lizard tanks.

Or you use it as a mouthwash to treat gingivitis. I guess if it's so effective killing bacteria in the mouth, it could do it in the tank just as well. Heh, just never thought about it.

17. outback_fire

outback_fire Member

so, what about burns? does it help them?

18. outback_fire

outback_fire Member

burns on snakes and lizards.....

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

I really don't know anything about that, sorry. I do know that diluted Betadine would work to treat burns and such. I used that to treat Ocho for an infection on his stomach and it worked magic!

20. tmx

tmx New Member

Just from thought, i don't think it work on burns so research more before you do try it on a burn. But i'm thinking i read some where they you shouldn't treat on open sores etc...

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

According to a google search it seems to be an ingredient used in burn treatment, however it might need to be in a topical form. Then again Bennett said just earlier in this thread, "That's why you can use it as a topical and not worry about them drinking it." So maybe it can be used as is.

Hopefully we can get someone with more experience on this to clarify.

22. outback_fire

outback_fire Member

ok....ya...i think i heard after the burn had scabbed you could dab a little on there to disinfect

23. kephy

kephy Moderator

Okay gang, this is what I have.

0.12% Chlorhexidine Gluconate oral rinse.

So, can this be used as Nolvalsan? Would I need to dilute it? Etc, etc.

24. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Member

well after so many conflicting stories I called the manufacturer (1-800-685-5656). They are sending me spec sheets I will post them when I get them. The short of it is, according to Wyeth, the manufacturer, it does NOT work to kill coccidia! So now the question is WHAT DOES? Cheri, any thoughts???

As to the difference between the two types of Chlorhexidine, the molecular eight is different and again, according to Wyeth, Nolvasan has 45% more active ingredient than the generic. So according to them, even though they are both a 2% solution, you will need to use less of the Nolvasan to get the same strength. Like I said, when I get the comparison sheet I will post it.

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thank you! I'll just hold off until I know for sure. If I can use this stuff I may be able to get it at cost, but only in 16oz bottles. So I'll wait to see if it's worth the trouble.