Does someone have an answere?

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Ellanah Kirk, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ellanah Kirk

Ellanah Kirk New Member

I know he's not being aggressive but why does he do this I was told it's a happy face, like a lizard smile when they are warm and happy

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Well, lizards don't smile, although sometimes it definitely looks like they do. Under what circumstances is your water dragon doing this mouth opening? I see he is out of the cage in the picture. Does he only do it outside of the cage? If so, it is probably just a defensive gesture. If he is doing it both in and outside of the cage, it may be a sign of a respiratory infection. If he only does it under his heat lamps, it may be a sign that he has reached optimal basking temperatures or has possibly overheated a little. (This is known as gaping and is a way of regulating body temperature.) If you can explain the details about when he does this I can probably give you a more definitive answer. In the meantime, welcome to the boards!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ellanah Kirk

Ellanah Kirk New Member

thank you for the welcome awesome Christmas Beardie icon btw.

ok so I don't think it's a respiratory problem because he shows no other symptoms of an infection, like slimy mouth, bubbles, and odd breathing. he does this randomly. like he will be sitting on my chest and do it or just sitting in his cage and he will do it. he is only aggressive towards his reflection and is definitely not being aggressive when he does this. thanks for the reply and I hope I can better understand his weird actions. also, is "gaping" a happy lizard thing?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. chloeclue

chloeclue Embryo

I think it's gonna be cause he's very upset

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ellanah Kirk

Ellanah Kirk New Member

Sadly, my water dragon was put down, turns out I didn't know he needed a UVB and he got a really bad bone disease. My sister bought me a brand new baby one.... I miss my pip and Hydra has some big claws to fill

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chloeclue

chloeclue Embryo

Trust me I know how you feel I once had a bearded dragon that my cat Yoshi killed and sometimes I still cry A LOT I feel so bad for you:(

12. Ellanah Kirk

Ellanah Kirk New Member

I have a new Baby water dragon, Hydra, he's healthy and I made sure to get the right bulb,he seems to be happy and will nap on me, But I still miss my first dragon PIP I still think about it... and how I could have kept him healthy.