Doing good, time to handle

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Pima, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Pima

Pima New Member

Ok so we got our very active Gecko in August. She eats DAILY either 5-6 small crickets or CGD. We have been worried about handling her because of her love to jump and soar through the air. She also matches our floor. So we are now ready to start handling her. We got her as a baby and have waited for her to get a little bigger before really trying. Now that we are ready, we are daily putting our hand in there just so shes used to us but not grabbing at her. So how do we do this?
    She is in a 20long with 3 fake plants, temps kept around 75. Paper towel flooring. not that you really need to know all that. Humidity varies through the day never too high never too low. and we keep a blue light on her just for a lil heat when we are home (windows open a little). Im wondering if its best to try to get her when we clean her tank. we put her in a critter keeper while we do this and she watches EVERYTHING we do. when we put her back in the cage, she inspects that everything is where it needs to be...she is very strange. She also hides on us. dont know why, but she loves doing it. til we feed her or sometimes she will jump out at us. scares the heck outta me sometimes. all of a sudden i have this thing stuck to the glass in front of my face..i dont even know where she comes from most of the time. we dont want to force her to let us handle her, but we want to try to get her to actually like us. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. happypotomus

happypotomus Embryo

usually cresties are okay with being handled. some are more jumpy than others, but you can always tell when they are going to jump because they crouch. If you are worried about your little one getting hurt from jumping you can sit on the floor. They usually calm down once you've got them. Fun little buggers aren't they?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pima

Pima New Member

She is tons of fun. she plays hide and seek... unless she thinks im dinner. But ill look at her and then duck down under the tank and she will run to side and look at me. we have a lot of fun with her. she is VERY jumpy and VERY fast. but getting HUGE!! we try to handle her at least once a week to start and its while we are cleaning her cage (move her to and from the critter keeper). So maybe she will get used to us doing this and touching her. so again, i thank you!!!