Dragon Agama (Chinese Tree Dragon)

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Laika, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Laika

Laika New Member

Hiya

I was wondering if anyone had any information on dragon agama's, and their care. I really want to research before I get one (or two!!)

The only site I can find is a variable of this one http://www.reptilehabitat.com/chinese_tree...n_caresheet.htm

It says here that a 24"x12"x16" viv would do for 4 agamas... so... do you think a 12"x12"x18" would be ok for one?

Thanks
    Laika

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

I say if you are getting a juvie then this size would be ok for now, but as it gets bigger you would need a bigger cage, preferably taller rather than longer as they like to climb.
    I think for two adults, 24"x12"x16 is still quite small for tree agamas to live happily. Lovely looking reptiles tho!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

There are many common Names for these guys like Dragon Agama and I think also butterfly agama. Japalura Spendida is the scientific name

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Laika

Laika New Member

oh right, thanks, i'll try looking those up.

All the sites I can find on agama's seem to be desert related, and I think these are more woodland.... ?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Most caresheets seem to underestimate the space actually needed for reptiles. In my opinion, i'd say 30GAL minimum, but then that's me, i do like to go overboard sometimes on the sizes of the enclosures i keep my herps in.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. plmarsg8

The bigger space the better. I heard that its 12X18X24 for a pair as minnimum but I would only put one in there.

12. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

If dragon agamas are the same as butterfly agamas, then I have one. There are so many common names for this lizard!
    My agama is in a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft tank, and i still think that this is only just big enough. It seriously is a nutter, it just constantly runs around all day. They also really like to dig, so make sure that you have a loose substrade in one end for the agama to dig. Also make sure you have a heat mat under the digging area (as it should be in the cooler end) as they dig, get cold and cant come out.
    They are also really fragile, so make sure that you give it vit and calcium suppliments, to prevent MBD and other diseases. They love crickets, mealworms waxworms ect, but also like fruit and veg. Mine especially likes carrot and strawberry. They make a really nice pet once they gain confidence with you, and have somer eally nice colourful markings, depending on the sex.
    If dragon agams are different to butterfly agams, then im sorry for banging on about mine LOL

13. Laika

Laika New Member

I dont think they are the same...
    I googled... the first pic, is a dragon agama and the second a butterfly agama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. plmarsg8

Yup....I made a mistake. I guess its not a butterfly agama. Thanks for correcting me Laika

15. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

wow, the dragon agama looks cool!

16. Laika

Laika New Member

They are!! They are so adorable, I'd never seen them before, then the herp store near where I am has 4 in at the mo! The green is sooooo bright! They only grow to 8in apparently, so cute ^^,

17. plmarsg8

I was thinking about getting one before but I am restricted right now and cannot get eny more pets.

18. crystal_wolf1968

crystal_wolf1968 New Member

The first one is a Japalura splendida. I have four, 3 male and 1 female. Great little critters I love their nutty behavior.

19. Laika

Laika New Member

Crystal_wolf

What size tank would you recommened minimum for one?