DRAGON HELP answered the questions...

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Dragonldy, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Dragonldy

Dragonldy Embryo

shes new to the home and wont eat unless outside and acting sluggish
    OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon? no
    What area are you located in? Las Vegas Nevada

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name: TOOTHLESS
    Age, weight and length if you know? 6 months and 12 inches and chubby
    How long with you?
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? only eats her crickets outside and not being to alert inside
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright? not to active unless out side her eyes are looking good
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal? only after her bath her beard is dark
    Walking/moving normally? yes when shes walking
    Any physical features that do not appear normal? no
    From Breeder or Pet Store? (this may make a difference) pet store
    Has he every been treated by a vet, not yet
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?
    Basking or sleeping during the day? yes
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often? yes twice today
    If not, when was the last time?
    Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly runny and smelly
    Alone or with others? alone
    If with others, what sex"?
    Soaking or misting at all and how often? yes shes misted in the morning and a bath 3 hours before bed

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size? 40 gal
    Temps -what do you use for heat? 100 basking 85 middle and 80 cool using a 100w mercury basking and uvb in one bulb and a 100w uvb lamp for the other side of the tank
    Basking point? 100
    Cool area? 80
    What are you measure it with?
    What Substrate? reptile carpet
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is using a 100w mercury basking and uvb in one bulb
    How old? new
    How close to UVB light when he bask? 8 inches
    What hours for day/night? 6 am 8pm
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what? no tank stays at 85

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change? yes only eats in sun
    What size, kind and how many/much insects does he eat daily? crickets about 20 and greens
    What do you feed the insects normally? oranges
    Is the dragon eating greens/veggies? she was not any more i offer them..
    What and how much?
    Supplements?
    What kind of calcium/how often? i dust all crickets with d3 calcium
    What kind of vitamins how often ive had her 2 dAYS but dusted crickets today
    How are these given to him? in a tupperware i put the dragon in

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hi Dragonldy,

It is very possible that your new pet is still adapting to his new home. It is not uncommon for new additions to go several days to a little over a week without eating as they adapt to the new stresses of a new environment.

I would encourage you to handle the beardie as little as possible during this acclimation time to prevent stress and allow him to "settle in."

I do find the fact that he only eats in sunlight a bit disturbing. My immediate thought is that the basking light is either not warm enough or not producing adequate UVB, but it appears your setup is pretty solid. The temperatures look good... do you know the specific brand of Mercury Vapor Bulb or the age? Also, it is typically recommended to allow MVB's to be no closer than 12" from the animal because they can emit dangerous levels of UV when too close. Whether or not this is an issue with the feeding I'm not sure.... but 8 inches might be just a bit too intense. Beardie's can sense UV radiation with their pineal gland ("3rd eye" that sits toward the top of their head). The fact that he eats outside in natural light and refuses food inside with the MVB-produced light makes me think there might be some kind of connection with the lighting.

If the dragon is otherwise active and alert I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that he is still pooping regularly and did eat something for you within such a short time of being in a new home a good thing - I wouldn't think this is some serious condition given this positive behavior.

I don't have much time today but will try to touch base again soon. We have a few very knowledgeable beardie keepers on the forum who will surely chime in with time as well.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dragonldy

Dragonldy Embryo

i changed the mvb to a 60 w blue basking bulb her temps are the same i will create a youtube vid of my set up and post a link.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dragonldy

Dragonldy Embryo

hers her set up on youtube