dragon shedding(need replyfast)

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by leon_kuyo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

i took my dragon out for the regular handling but i noticed as i put him on my arm that he was shedding should i leave him alone or what?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It's generally best to avoid excessive handling while they are shedding, I'd go ahead and wait it out until he has finished before handling him again. Shouldn't have to wait too long = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

right now its just his tail , how long do you think it last? and should i try feeding him since he probably will get hungry from the work

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You can try offering him food, but don't concern yourself if he rejects it. This is one of a reptile's most vulernable times, and they will often try to stay hidden and avoid putting themselves in situations that can cause harm.

I'm honestly not 100% sure how long it takes a water dragon to complete a shed... most geckos will finish within a couple of hours while many lizards vary significantly in the rate at which they complete a shed. Bearded dragons for example shed in patches and can take several weeks to finish the whole body, sometimes long enough to where growing juveniles will be in a state of seemingly constant shed because by the time they finish the last patch/body part from one shed, they are starting a new one somewhere else! They aren't exactly the norm though; perhaps someone else with personal experience with this species can chime in??

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

thank you