Dry scales on Ball Python

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by hunter1849, Nov 11, 2004.

1. hunter1849

hunter1849 Embryo

I have had a ball python for a year now. Just recently I have noticed Dry scales on the bottom of her. I was wondering what could have caused this and what i can do to take care of it. I take very good care of her. I have aspen bedding in the tank. And keep it rather humid. So if someone could please help me out I would appreciate it. She is a very beautiful snake and i would hate for something to happen to her. If you would want to see pictures of the scales i can supply those. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leezard

Leezard New Member

I'm sure your post will be moved- but I just wanted you to know your on the wrong board :)

There is a board specific to Pythons here :p

This is the bearded dragon board - and if you kept their cage humid, and kept them on aspen bedding - you'd have people yelling at you here! LOL!

Good luck with your python though!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Welcome to Reptile Rooms!
    The pics would be very helpful!
    It is really hard to say exactly what is going on with your snake but some more information will be make it easier....
    What are your temps?
    Humidity levels?
    Are you using under cage heat?
    When was the last time your snake shed?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Pics would probabaly help. If you have it humid it "shouldn't" be stuck shed. Though ball Pythons really don't require allot of humidty, they come from an arid climate in Africa.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I always found BPs to be tricky when it came to shedding. They come from an arid climate, but they supposedly spend most of the time in humid dark cool burrows. That means that your normal 50% humidity in the cage needs to go much higher when the snake starts to shed, even then you can still have problems. What worked for me was a humid hide.... a nice dark spaghum moss filled tupperware container or other container.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Are the scales loose or flakey? Or do they just feel rough and dry? Definitely need some pics on this one...

BTW - Welcome to ReptileRooms!

12. BoaBabe448

BoaBabe448 New Member

Pics would be wonderful.
    And also, I know B.P's come from afric, but do they come from the jungles, or the savannah? And what countries? Because I am going to africa in a few years, and i hope to find some, but i have to know where to look.

13. wackoo4lyfe

wackoo4lyfe New Member

Pics would help, also I think I'm having the same problem but I will see after my snake sheds in a couple days. Its nothing much it isn't bother my ball a bit, but I dont want it to stay on her. BoaBabe i hope you have a fun time in africa, I wish I could go :p

14. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

from my understanding the Savannahs, like north central Africa They are closely related to Angolan Pythons (same body just different color and scales) so I would say Angola , Gahna. Poor in African Geography, but you get the point.

15. hunter1849

hunter1849 Embryo

The scales don't seem to be that bad after she sheds. She has no problems sheding they just seem to dry out after she sheds. I suppose it could possibly be some shed that hasn't come off but I don't think so. I have her last shed and it is complete. Could I apply a light amount of lotion on her? It is just her stomache. Its not on her back or anywhere else. It dosen't seem to bug her. And I am working on the pictures. Thanks.

16. SCSnakeman

SCSnakeman Embryo

Try misting here a couple times a day. I keep my snake room humidity between 55 & 60% but I still mist the cages and mist the balls when I notice they are going into a shed.

17. BoaBabe448

BoaBabe448 New Member

So they do live in the savannas? Like the dry areas?

18. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Make sure she's got fresh water always available to drink and that she's getting good quality feeder rats.

If you keep the aspen rather humid you may be having bacteria problems. Your best bet is to not keep the bedding or the tank too humid and provide a humidity hide as suggested a couple of posts up.

The aspen in your tank should never stay moist and if it is should be replaced. Moist aspen can cause a couple of problems. Not only is it a great environment for bacteria to breed it also masks the ability to notice when the snake excretes any fluid, which happens probably more often than you think.

19. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Kinda similar to our praries, but only hotter :p

I keep mine at regular room humidity with a big enough bowl to saok if they need. I never mist them even with a shed coming on. They seem to take care of their moisturizng themselves.

Oh Do not put any moisturizer on your snake. they have sensative skin and that could easily irrtate them.

I just keep mine on newspaper and they shed one piece every time.

20. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Judging by the extremely limited knowledge I have...I would guess that it is too humid in your tank. You can also use mineral oil, it is safe and effective.