Drying of Mealworms for future use

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by klapperdop, Jun 17, 2014.

1. klapperdop

klapperdop Embryo

Hi

I have been trying to dry my excess mealworms for later worms and after doing some research came up with a recipe: freeze them to humanely kill them, then put them in an oven at 30 Deg Cels for about 4 to 5 hours.

My problem is no 1, my stove don't go that low, so I put it in the warm drawer which I kept open a bit; I put it in a food dehydrator which they use to make biltong at home (with and without light source) - in all cases the mealworms don't stay the light brown colour. Most turn black in several places or black all over. In some cases they totally become crispy but - looks disgusting and not something I would offer my friends for their animals.

Is there anybody with some advice.

Tanya

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JnM_Reptiles

JnM_Reptiles Embryo

freeze drying is enough, no need to bake them etc, once they are freeze dried the moisture is sucked out of them, that is what i have done for the past 5 years with no problems, once the moisture is removed they are basically like cereal they wont go bad unless they come in contact with water, the only difference is that mealworms won't go stale over time like cereal.

hope i was able to help,

JnM_Reptiles

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. auAlan

auAlan Embryo

Hi JnM-Reptiles, would you please tell me how you freeze dry your mealworms? Do you simply put them in the freezer for a couple of days and then use a dehydrator set at a certain temperature for x amount of hours? Thanks in advance.