Dumerils Boa VS. Ball Python. Trade offs????

Discussion in 'Boas' started by downhillbikin, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

Oh boy i hope they have some sweet sweet necter...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

ssscales, Do you have any more pics of your Dumerils? I sure hope they have one at the next show, I can't wait to get one. Very cool snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

Here is the last one I took of her in January. I'll try and take some new ones this weekend when I clean their enclosure.

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Those are some thick snakes. Is that a false wall in the back? I heard about those. What are they for? Do you put heaters behind there? What do you use for heat? I just built a cage that's 4' long, 2 feet deep, and 18" tall, but yours look bigger. Maybe mine won't be big enough when the Boa is full grown? My main problem with heating is my wife makes me keep the cages downstairs where it's about 60 deg. Very nice looking setup you have ! One last thing, whats the deal with the 2.2 1.3 0.1 and all that? What's that mean?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Oh, what kind of Boa is the smaller one in the lower right of the photo? A columbian? What are your choices for Baos if you don't want a snake over 7 feet long? Best to buy a male?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just wana make sure I make the best choice in snake, and get the enclosure the best I can. Thanks again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ssscales

ssscales Member

It's OK.

The backing is just pegboard and heating is kept thru Flexwatt. The snake in the lower right is a Pastel BCI.
    If all you want is a pet snake and do not plan on breeding a male would be best to keep smaller. Most my males I try to keep at a healthy 4 to 5-1/2FT females are kept at a managable 6-7-1/2FT. I feed my males every 2 weeks a med-lrg rat, females a jumbo to colosal rat. My adult enclosures are 4X2X18.

One last thing, whats the deal with the 2.2 1.3 0.1 and all that? What's that mean? It references males 1.0 and females 0.1. 1.2 is one male, two females.

12. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Oh, ok thanks. BCI is a standard columbian right? The ones that stay smaller than red-tails?

13. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

BCI are initials for Boa constrictor imperator which is their scientific name and is used for all common red tail boas. But the true red tail boas that have the really red tails that hold their amazing color and don't fade are Boa constictor constictor or BCC and yes they get quite a bit bigger about 13 feet and typically have nastier temperments but god they are pretty.

14. Novus

Novus Embryo

Hey all... New guy here...

I have a DB, and I can honestly say that this is the best snake I've ever had. Mellow, great temperment, docile - I have no qualms whatsoever with allowing my 20 month old daughter intract with the snake. It's a beautiful animal.

I got him in trade for an old digital camera I had that I didn't use anymore (I upgraded to an EOS 300D) and I feel like the guy who got the camera got the crappy end of that deal. :)

I say go for it, you'll be glad you did!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Novus Photography

15. ssscales

ssscales Member

That's a nice Dumeril!

I've had a few BCC's before and decided to stick with BCI's since they are smaller in size and I have limited space. As for temperments I'd say they are about the same, but yes BCC's can be more tempermental at times.

I also keep JCP's, Hogs and Argentine BCO's which all have a rep of being nasty and all have turned out to be very calm and managable. My Argies came in with the worst attitude, but with time and patience quickly calmed down. Bloods on the other hand I could not tame for the life of me.

16. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

ssscales, Did you happen to get more pics yet when you cleaned the enclosure?

17. ssscales

ssscales Member

I just snapped this one.

[​IMG]

18. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Cool, thanks. Those are huge. Do boas not mind being housed together? I read that BPs get stressed if you keep more than one per enclosure. If boas don't mind being housed together, maybe I'll get 2.

19. ssscales

ssscales Member

I don't house any snake together except during breeding periods. I wouldn't recommend housing any snake together outside of breeding attempts.

20. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

downhillbikin, i don't think the wife will let 3 snakes in the house haha.. although im lucky if i get 2

21. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

True, she would tweak out. I've gotta slowly add to my collection so she doesn't notice.

22. ssscales

ssscales Member

It's always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Luckily my wife and I are both reptile enthusiasts and enjoy spending routine time with our pets. My ex wife was the reason I got rid of my first collection during my early 20's. It was mainly Colubrids, Pythons and a few Boas.

I bought into that “snakes are for boys and do not have a place in a home with kids” speech! As well as the famous “snakes are evil” speech from the mother in-law!

As soon as the ink was dry on my divorce (over 10 years ago) I bought a boa.

23. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

ssscales, If you were buying you first Boa what would you get? I'm still leaning towards the Dumerils. Gotta wait until the 23rd for the show.

24. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

I just read a care sheet saying dumerils can be quite aggressive as far as Bos go. Is that true? I thought they were one of the more docile boas?

25. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

I would say that is a load of crap they may be agressive as babies but so can a corn snake it's a baby it's going to defend it's self in the only way it know how. Check out www.dumerils.com I think by far it is the most accurate website on dumeril's.