Dumerils finally popped!!

Discussion in 'Boas' started by iLLwiLL, Jun 16, 2006.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

sorry i've been away for awhile, work got insane on me . . . but i come back with good news!

after 10 months of waiting, the dumerils finally came through. i was begining to have my doubts there for awhile, but today i came home to 6 babies!! first it was 3 babies in plain sight (had to cut 2 of them free from the hardware cloth from which they had become entangled some how), then as i looked around more i found 3 more scattered in random places in the mothers cage. i tried to offer some little hoppers today, but no one ate. i will try to post up pics either tonight or tomorrow.

~Will.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. thepogona

thepogona Member

Congratulations... Are you expecting more?? Just wondering because I'm not sure about the breeding of Dumerils...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

from what i've read they usuall have smaller litters than rtb's/ i took a couple quick pics but they came out real crappy. still waiting to get my hands on an slr for some real pics, but for now these will have to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Will.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

They are beautiful! I have always been fond of dum's

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ssscales

ssscales Member

Very nice!!

Dumerils will have between 8-12 babies on average, some may drop 4 some may drop 16, but on average 8-12 can be expected. As I suggested, give them 8-10 days after birth to settle in, make sure they are on 1-2" of Aspen bedding, fresh water and just leave them alone for 8-10 days. You'll notice after a while they will burrow themselves in the Aspen with only their nose visible. on the 10th day, drop a hopper mouse in the tub, turn off the lights and leave the room. Check back in 20-30 minutes, that hopper should be gone!

You could get lucky and they may eat no matter what you do or don't do or they could drive you crazy for three months before taking a meal!

Trust me on this one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

those pics seriously made me drool!! they refused to eat a week after they were born and i'm still anxiously awaiting their first meal. 2 of them struck and coiled their hoppers, but diddnt actually eat them :evil: . i'm going to try again this comming friday. what temps do you keep your babies at? mine are at 90* hot side, and 78* cool side in 11x14x4" tubs with 1.5" of lizard litter (it was all i could find around here).

thanks for all the help!

~Will.

12. ssscales

ssscales Member

Switch them to Aspen, I use the 11qt sterilite tubs (not sure the measurements off the top of my head) and temps are kept 82F cool side/90F hot spot. Change a few things, give them a couple days and try LIVE hoppers.

13. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

i know this is off topic but i am thinking of getting a dum can one of you show me a pic of your tank there in so i can build from that. and do you guys use basking lights or uvb lights or just uth's?

14. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

How big will they get?

15. ssscales

ssscales Member

Males will get anywhere from 5-6ft, Females will get anywhere from 5.5-6.5ft and in rare cases 8ft+. Females are also much thicker/heavier than the males.

Dumerils are great snakes, super calm and tame straight from birth.
    Once established and feeding, they will feed regularly without any hesitation.

Here are a couple old pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

are those pics of males cause they looks huge!!

17. ssscales

ssscales Member

Male and female, the male is the smaller/thinner one.
    Female Dumerils can get as thick as coke bottles.

18. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

ssscales how much do you full grown males weigh?

19. ssscales

ssscales Member

I don't have them anymore, but males may weigh 6-10lbs and females may get 15-25lbs depending on the individual.
    They are not long snakes, but are quite thick in girth.

20. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

not to mention very strong snakes. my dumerils are the only boas i've ever had that will actually wag their tales when they get excited.

~Will.

21. ssscales

ssscales Member

Oh Yeah, that is very cool!
    I miss my Dums!

22. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

i want a dum so bad but still debating on a dum or hog islands ans suggestions?

23. ssscales

ssscales Member

I love them both and have kept both. I prefer Hogs slightly over Dums since they aren't as thick, don't get larger than 6ft, are not has heavy as Dums and vary in colors that change from night to day. I have a girl Hog that goes from a deep orange during the day to a pale light grey during some nights.

Hogs are also bred with Hypo Boas to create Hypo Hog who in turn create (Supers) Sunset Boas when bred together! Amazing snakes if you have not seen one! Again, Sunsets as Hypo Hogs can vary from down right ugly to amazingly beautiful snakes!

24. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

ok, but how are dums fat they dont seem like they would get that heavy if only 5-10 pounds for a male wich i want... and dont males get 5-6 feet. so there not to big

25. ssscales

ssscales Member

I didn't write anything about them being fat snakes. Females are thick snakes compared to a BCI for example of the same length. A 6-7ft female Dumeril can be as thick as a 2 litter bottle of soda.

They are great snakes and you won't go wrong with a Dumeril Female or Male.