eco earth for kenyan sand boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Damionlowther, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Damionlowther

Damionlowther Embryo

So just got a new lil ksb and realy like eco earth and am wondering the pros and cons of using it for my lil lady I have heard a lot of people use aspen then thers the its a sand boa du ppl insinuating sand should be used wich I have it in now but don't realy care for just wondering if ther are reasons the eco earth dried well not moist at all should not be used thanx in advance for any input u may have

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Eco-Earth is made of coir - fibers that are extracted from coconut husks... it has similar properties to something such as peat moss and similar potting type soils.

That being said, I'd recommend if you use the eco earth, to add just a little sand and and even a little potting soil (no fertilizers, etc) to help it to maintain its structure. This will allow the KSB to dig tunnels out easily and make intricate tunnel systems that they enjoy.

The #1 choice amongst most people I've talked to seems to be Aspen - as its relatively cheap, maintains burrows, and is very clean. I know VPI uses(used) this when they had large numbers of kenyan sand boas and this was their favorite choice over potting soil and newspaper. Although if I recall correctly, they had no real issues with potting soil and its a close second. So coir should be just fine - you could use it alone if you prefer or add a few things to it to help hold burrow integrity but the loose coir might do okay with that anyway, you can play around with it and see = )

They actually don't like in 'loose' sand in the wild and it prevents them from making semi permanent tunnels so I'd wager eco earth will be the better option.

lestat likes this.