egg bound female

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by ge60705, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ge60705

ge60705 Embryo

hello,
    any comments on this please?

i bought a 'male' veiled in december, i specifically asked for a male, and he had what seemed litle spurs on the rear feet. he's been taken to the vet as he wasnt holding on to branches properly. the vet said it is a female and has become eggbound as there was no place for egglaying, and i didnt supply enough calcium to allow for the feeding of the eggs. 4 fractured limbs and ive had her put down.

petshop denies any knowledge and refused to give me a replacement. i asked for one as i believe they were in the wrong. i felt if id known it was a female i could have made suitable arrangements.

any thoughts please?
    thanks,
    gareth

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Heika

Heika Moderator

Hey Gareth,

Sad story. I am surprised you didn't realize that your chameleon was a female, though. There are some very distinct differences between the two. IMO.. more research about the animals and the care they require would have prevented this.

Heika

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ge60705

ge60705 Embryo

well in all fairness it took a vets xray to discover this problem, the vet said 'the HE they sold you is a SHE', then explained the problems.

i specified i wanted a male in the petshop. ive read and read books before buying.

the habitat provided was fine for a male, but i didnt know it was a female.

clive was our 1st chameleon, we have a bearded dragon too, but my anger is directed towards the stubborness of the shop over this.