EGGS!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by jeepnphreak, May 29, 2005.

1. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

hmmm, valid point. right now we have our crested gecko eggs in a make - shift incubator.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Dizzy, I know people who do it that way but I would not recommend it. There is a much higher rate of egg fatalities that way. I seen people lose entire clutches that way.

Even more important though, females will not eat when guarding their eggs. It is better to get the eggs away, change the substrate, thoroughly clean the cage and the snake itself to get rid of the smell of eggs. That way the mom will resume feeding and get back to good health. It is very common for a mom to loose a quarter of her body weight or more during the whole process. So the sooner you get her back to feeding normally the better off the mom is.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hmmmm..... Rent-A-Snake. Now that is an interesting idea. Kinda like the people who rent high end jewelry to attend those gala events out in Hollywood and New York.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Very cool! So, they just sit there with the eggs? What if you were to leave the eggs with her, instead of taking them and incubating them?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

i'll pay you a dollar a day to rent a piedball. =D!!!!!! and when people ask me where I got it from, I'll give them your card. you have no idea how much business i'd send your way, just cuz i go out to every reptile show/shop on the east coast of south florida. so, when can i expect my rented snake? (ill even call him shrap!)

12. Janice

yes, tjhallock, That's what I get for posting before reading the entire thread. :) I'd rent a Pied. I think that's a good idea. Great marketing idea, but ooh, think of the insurance!!!
    Can I have him next?

13. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

Erm, if you leave the eggs in with the mother, what happens after they hatch? munch munch? lol That happened with my tokay geckos once, well actually after the eggs were laid I made the mistake of taking the male out and holding him while he was guarding the eggs and didn't incubate them, so when I put the male back in there he wanted nothing to do with them, later the female came by and well.. munch munch happened. I caught her in the act too, it was sad :)

14. Janice

That is sad, poor widdle things.

15. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

Yeah, it is sad. My tokay is very warm hearted and lovable too, I kiss him, rub his belly and hand feed the guy (not hand feed as in feeding him my hand lol), I even let him sit out on the chair arm with my for hours... he doesn't go off hiding anywhere, if he moves he stays out in the wide open. I left him for 30minutes once, came back and he was still there, then I left for abit longer and then found him on the middle of the window in the other room looking out. This cuddley guy watches tv constantly, its his favorite thing to do. I was hoping on some baby tokays just like him!!! His mate passed away a year ago due to unknown causes, she was in top shape too, maybe a bit too fat though. Now Toki is celebate since when I add any other females in there he gets too rought, one of them he ripped off an inch of skin on her back and another inch on her neck and she was bigger than he was. Shes just fine now, her scars healed up, you can tell she lost her skin, but the skin and the color is comming back just fine. But now I am afraid to offer him another mate, hes too horny to mate, which is quite sad.. He doesn't have the patience as he had with his first wife, now he just goes right for it instead of setting the female in the mood. I'll stop talking about my Toki now since this is the python forum lol.