Electric Blue Gecko

Discussion in 'General Geckos' started by justkev, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lwwest

lwwest New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louie

Louie Member

Oh that makes alot of sense. Never thought of that as only keep ground dwelling non arboreal , Going to look at zoom meds online and pvc arboreal types with screen tops .

I do not like that bar in middle of top screen so that rules out exo-terra.

Thanks

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Louie

Louie Member

Thanks ,going to look at front opening types . Funny you mentioned that you like day geckos because I have a few wild one's in yard even with cold spells they show up as soon as day temps reach 70s which is close to every day.

The pic in avatar is a wild day gecko in my yards screen "gazeboo" (not sure what it is called) and I lured it for a pic with mealworm.

yard geckos.jpg

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

I love the ZooMed vivariums, they're perfect for Lygos. You can keep a pair in an 18 X 12 minimum. I would go one size larger for a trio.
    YOU WILL NEED TO MODIFY IT IF YOU ARE HATCHING EGGS IN IT. You will need to tape screen over the clip holes in the top. (Don't use just tape, of course). Inspect the enclosure carefully before you buy it--some of the doors are installed unevenly. Look for ones with even gaps all around the door. If one gap is wider than another, it will allow tiny hatchlings to slip through--baby williamsi are crazy small.

Adult williamsi will eat hatchlings.

Louie likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Also, pvc pipe makes great hides and egg laying places for L. williamsi. If you do not provide pvc or bamboo tubes, they will likely lay their eggs around the top of the tank...sometimes inside the door hinge, where they will be crushed. :p Since the eggs are cemented in place with something like nature's own industrial adhesive, I recommend using the tubes, so you can remove them for incubation in a separate cage.

Louie likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Louie

Louie Member

Thanks.

I am probably going to order the 18 x 18 as cheap enough and pet store will get it for me. The 18 x24 isn't bad either but for only 1 pair might be hard to ever see them in there but have not ruled out that size as allows for more room for plants,etc.
    I will mention the door problem to them beforehand see if their shipper can look at that. If not might now just take the drive further north to get it myself.

You mentioned pvc in your other post. I imagine you open up a few holes in it for their egg laying and they do not mind pvc vs actual branch's?

Friend from work yellow head "kimwohelli" (not sure of spelling) and real cute he has had them for a year and very nervous and often hide . Nice that Williamsi are different and more out going . Granted his are WC but yet very pretty

These are a friends not mine but thought some here might like the pic.

kimwohelli.jpg

12. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Yes, I bred kimhowelli as well, and just sold the last one a couple of weeks ago. They are MUCH more high strung and flighty than the williamsi are. They're more high strung than my conradti and angularis, too. Beautiful geckos, though.
    Out of the 4 species of Lygodactylus I've worked with, the williamsi are the only ones that are so insanely outgoing and bold.

Don't worry about not seeing them in a large cage--they will find prominent locations to sit and head wag at each other, lol.

The pvc pipe I used is the same diameter as bamboo tubes--perfect for the animals to hide in, and perch on. I cut it into lengths that will fit easily into my 12 X 12 hatching cage. They don't appear to care that it's not bamboo, and after the eggs hatch, I can disinfect it and scrub it out with a bottle brush. I'm not sure what you mean by holes. They glue their eggs to the smooth inside of the tube with no problem at all.
    Bamboo or cork tubes would work as well, and I was using bamboo originally.

Louie likes this.
  13. Louie

Louie Member

"Out of the 4 species of Lygodactylus I've worked with"

It's funny how hard it is to find these geckos because sometimes you will see some for sale than year goes by and nothing available.

"I'm not sure what you mean by holes."

For some reason I thought they had to have holes in the middle of the pvc pipes in order for them to lay their eggs. Don't know where I got that from but see not needed.

Thanks

14. Steve Tuls

Steve Tuls Embryo

Would anyone who is currently keeping and breeding these care to sell some CB babies? Sounds like you've had some success. I would love to get a pair, but everything I find online says out of stock. Please email with any you may have available or expecting and your price. email me at rower4gvsu@hotmail.com. Thanks, Steve

15. naykid

naykid Member

WOOOW!!!! Thats great.......one more thing i want:eek:

16. 1208jen

1208jen Embryo

Hi There, I have a female electric blue gecko. I am looking for a male. Do you have any for sale? He would need to be shipping to Albany NY. Thank you Jenny