Elementary School needs your help

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by DaveTheTeacher, Oct 8, 2009.

1. DaveTheTeacher

DaveTheTeacher Embryo

[​IMG]

Hey all,

It has been a while since I have posted here, I am a 4th grade teacher in Atlanta, GA, and I have two Corn snakes as classroom pets. But that is not why I am here today.

This little guy is the third visitor to our elementary school in as many weeks. We are not sure where they are coming from, or how they are getting into the school, probably under a door somewhere. They are popping up in the Kindergarten / First Grade hallway and our teachers down there are freaking out. They along with our administration are convinced it is a poisonous snake. I have tried to tell them that he is not venomous but they won't believe me.

Could one of you please help me identify this snake, and put about 20 teachers minds at ease? Thanks so much for your help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. improvius

improvius New Member

Looks like a juvie rat snake. Totally harmless, unless you're a small rodent.

Here's a guide to your local snakes: http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/index.htm Note that the adult rat snakes darken up and lose their patterns over time, which is why the picture in that guide doesn't look quite like your specimen.