Emerald Swift

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by solid_snake_fh, Apr 2, 2005.

1. solid_snake_fh

solid_snake_fh New Member

Hi, i have a Emerald Swift i have had him for about 2 months now.
    he is really neat and i enjoy watching him in his tank.
    I read on the net that these lizards are really hard to take care of.

i dont really feel that there that hard to take care of.
    i dont have a humidafire but i do have a heat rock that he uses rearly and a heat pad.
    anyways i have 3 questions, (1) my uncle said to feed my swift once a day 2 crickets each.

i ran into petco and found a little info letter on how to take care of one and it says to feed them every other day.
    i feed him now 3 or 4 crickets every other day my question is how often should i feed him?

(2)i want a female friend for him and i was wondering how he would react to another lizard and how could it efftect him. is the tank big enough?

(3) i have been having a hard time finding a female Emerald Swift where could i look online?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

On LLLreptile.com they have some. Although you can't buy a male or female. You have to buy a random lizard or buy a pair. On LLL they gurentee you will get a male and a female. I also have a male Emerald, and don't think he all that hard besides humitity.
    I feed my swift daliy usally in the morning at which time i give him 10 mealworms and 5 - 10 crickets. I dust my mealworms since they are not high in protein. And I also dust my crickets everyother day. I hope this will help you and good luck finding a female.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. solid_snake_fh

he eats all that in one day :( my guy is bigger then the one i saw at petco and he doesnt eat that much

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

Do by any chance know how old he is?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. solid_snake_fh

no saddly i dont, i dont think hes to old, but is there a way u can tell?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

About how long is he(tip of head to back of tail) roughly. They are full grown at about 9 inches.

12. solid_snake_fh

about ta 8 inches maybe 9 lol

13. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

Well chances are you have an adult inless you have a very large baby?lol

14. solid_snake_fh

lol i dunno i dont think they told me how old he was but he looks healthy green and very colorful unless i clean his home then he wacks me with his tale and turns brown. but all and all hes happy. i was looking at the prices online and i could of bought 3 of him for what i payed "dang petstore"but im happy i got him hes a neat little guy with his own personality.

15. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

Did you by any means get it from petsmart? Thats where i got mine and i paid $30 dollars for it. I was at the store and i saw it and i was like that is the coolest looking lizard so i bought a tank and everything, got home looked online and they are $9.99!

16. solid_snake_fh

lol no, i did contact that site u gave me and they said i could choose the sex of my swift so i am happy about that. i got it at pet city i think

17. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

well good luck caring for him

18. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

How is he doing. Did you get a female?

19. solid_snake_fh

nah i didnt get a female yet im out of $$$ right now.
    but hes doing fine. how old is urs?
    here some picks of him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

My swift is about 2 years, give or take. How did you make that stick thing in the background? Also how do you post pictures? Thanks

21. solid_snake_fh

sorry ive been on away on army duty so i couldnt replay as fast as i would of like to.
    i climbed a tree and broke a v shape branch and a long stright one for the hamick.
    sawed the long stick in to equal peaces and started tieing the sides with string about a half inche apart from each other like a rope bridge. then i finished and tied it to the v branch and put it in his cage and added sucky cups to hold it up. he likes it alot he some times sleeps on it when he doesnt go under his sawdust.

for the images i upload them from geocities.com and take the url and use the form code to place it.

22. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

Do you every give your swift a bath. Also where were you staioned(spelling?). I know someone in iraq or aphganastan(sory ot a goo speler)

23. solid_snake_fh

im in colorado a reservist. might be going in sept to iraq, i dont give him baths.

24. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

The reason i was asking about the baths is that, my emerld became impacted and the vet suggested giving him a bath. So i threw im in some warm water and !POP! i don't think he was impacted anymore!LOL! So i give him a bath about once a week. But just wandering if you gave yours a bath

25. solid_snake_fh

im to afriade he would drowned or get sick or something.