Emerald Tree Boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by dunit6731, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dunit6731

dunit6731 Embryo

OK I want to get an emerald tree boa really bad and I just need to know how big of a terrarium I should get it, what to feed it, what schedule should i feed it at and how hard it will be to care for.
    thanks
    -Lizardboy6731

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Caging required depends on what size snake you get. An adult can get 5'+. I would recommend at least a 2'sq. cage. Must be ventilated yet hold humidity. A plastic prefab cage or tub would be best. As for feeding, again depends on size. Babies will eat every 7-10 days, adults every 2 weeks or so. Captive bred animals are becoming more common but you can find some decent long term captives as well. I'd avoid any fresh imports unless you've had experiance with worming and getting rid of parasites and such.
    My feel on care is, that is not hard, just strict. Animals like this tend to have specialized needs and are not as tolerent to change and learning curve as some other snakes. I forget the spacifics but most arboreals are good at 75-82%f for temps and require a high humidity of 60-90%. This is general of arboreals not etb's. I haven't researched them in a while so I forget the spacifics. These snakes also get huge heads with large teeth. Biggest of any non venomous species. A bit is going to be painful and bloody. If you have time to work with them, a good hook, understanding of their care and the dedication to provide that care then I'd say go for it. If not, I wouldn't because they are expensive.