EMERGENCY--cuban knight anole will not open eyes lethargic, looks like he is going to die

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by narcisse, Jun 23, 2009.

1. narcisse

narcisse Embryo

We have two male Cuban Knight Anoles that we have had for 4 years without any problems. They eat superworms, are in a large terrarium and have a basking natural sunlight lamp and also uvb/uva lamp.

One of the two, Ernie, is usually very active and friendly. Today I noticed he was lying on the bottom of the enclosure which is not normal and then when I pick him up he will move his legs a bit to make sure he is stable but will not open his eyes which are puffy on both sides. After rubbing his belly his back for a minute he gradually opened one eye a bit but it looks kind of glossed over and definitely doesn'y look bright and shiny. I put him back in his tree and he is now just hanging over a branch looking pretty sick. What do I do?? I just spent over $3k on surgery for my dog and am beyond broke. I can't afford to take him to the vet. Anything I can do or try???

ok i just picked him up again (an hour later) to see if he was warm. He is warm and green in color. He opened his eyes but there was liquid in both of them like he was crying. It was clear and enough to drop onto me when he opened his eyes. He then closed them again right away. Compared to the other anole the grey area around the eyes are twice as puffy as the other one.

HELP!? :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crusty

crusty New Member

Hi:
    I am sorry i cant be of help, however i can see the urgency of your situation and i wanted to keep your post on the top list. i think if you take him to a vet and explain your situation they may be able to do something about it, considering the condition Ernie is in (just an idea). it may be good idea, i really dont know about anoles, to separate him from the other, at least that is the first thing the vet make me do when something goes wrong with one of my WD. i hope he is okay, i can certainly imagine the amount of worry you are having at the moment. keep the spirits up mate. or other good idea would be to post all the information about set up (temperature humidity diet etc) so the experts here can help you better.

Cheers

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

I dont have any advice either, but some vets will offer you credit in emergency situations. I hope Ernie will be ok.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. narcisse

narcisse Embryo

Thanks for the concern and replies. I took him in yesterday to the vet. I just couldn't watch him suffer like that. Terrible.

His white cell count is elevated and they did bloodwork and labwork and determined its a bacterial infection. I give him antibiotics daily and a topical eye cream twice a day. He seems to be a tiny bit better already but the good news is that he is still eating and drinking. He should be ok.

The charges were a total of $191.00. Not too bad in my opinion for what they did.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. crusty

crusty New Member

oh! what a relief!, that is very good news, am glad for you. by the way, how did the vet take blood sample?. cause my vet kind of avoid taking blood samples to my wd's and i wonder how is it done. he told me is either cutting one of their nails too short as to make it bleed a little bit, or taking a blood sample directly from the heart, which would be rather painful, so i am really curious about it. Anyway, i hope Ernie gets 100% soon, and good to hear that he is eating, i kind of always think that as long as they eating, that means is not too bad :mellow:
    Cheers

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

How's that little guy doing now?