'EMERGENCY' help - ball not moving

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by djradam, Jan 16, 2005.

1. djradam

djradam New Member

well this SUCKS. because i know of no animal hospitals around here and it's aholiday weekend. maybe you guys can offer help....

... lately (as of today), i noticed my ball has not really been moving. at first i thought he was dead, cause i shook the cage and he didn't move. i took the lid off, picked up him, and he barely moved. i set him back into the cage, and i guess he lifted his head ONCE, but for about the past 10 -20 minutes, he hasn't moved (he IS breathing).

so what should I do?? he hasn't eatne for maybe 2 or 3 months. it's not that bad, one time he didn't eat for about 8 or 9 months (about 2 years ago). i've tried feeding him serveral times, but he does not go after the rat.

nothing seems to be wrong with his mouth or skin. the cage is clean, but i'll probably clean it again tonight or tomorrow. he's abotu 5 1/2 years old.

what should i do? i tried searching here .. but what's the average lifespan of the ball python in captivity? searching other ball info sites, i was thinking it was a LONG time, like 10 years or something. but maybe my snake is old, i don't know.

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. djradam

djradam New Member

well, i took him out for about 5 minutes, moved NO PROBLEM, but him back in,and goes back to less movement...

something i forgot to add, temp is about 75 and humidity about 45%

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

First of all your temps are WAY TOO LOW!!!!

They need to be 92-94 degrees on the warm side of your enclosure and 80-84 on the cool side. You need to address your temps IMMEDIATELY.

The life span of a Ball Python kept in captivity is 20 years or more when kept in the proper conditions.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. djradam

djradam New Member

yeah, i'm gonna rig something up with a heat lamp to get temps up ... the temps have usually been between 75 and 85. but it is something i'll be getting on very very soon. he's moving more, but i think i'm still going to take him to the vet, because last night scared me.