Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by edgarmedina1010, Feb 19, 2007.

1. edgarmedina1010

edgarmedina1010 New Member

Like some people know, Im a n00bie trying to get into the reptile hobby :) , I got a brand new 20 gal. and some people over in another post I made here, have told me about anoles, but they said the set-up would be a little expensive. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on the cost of the set-up? Also if anyone can make a list on the stuff I need to keep anoles. Oh, and how many would I be able to keep in there? I would also love to hear some opinions and tips on how to succesfully keep them. Thanks :arrow:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

I answered your last post. Anoles are amazing creatures and I hope you get one.
    Anoles themselves are inexpensive but the care for them is not.
    I know you have a 20 gallon tank and I am assuming that you have a lid.
    Here is a link that gathers up the average price in the U.S for these.
    http://www.kingsnake.com/anolecare/ready2.htm
    Have fun shopping

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

yeah, thanks. Im honestly about 95% sure ill be getting one, I have about $100 to spend right now, Ill probalby get the basics first, then buy the rest when I get the money, and last would be getting the anole!! the only thing im not sure about is the lighting :oops: . Can anyone tell me what type of lighting I NEED to buy? thanks for the reply.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

Basically, they need a low output of UV lighting (exo-terra strip ones are the best in my opinion, either the repti-glo 2.0 or 5.0) and you'd need the fittings, and also a heat lamp as a basking source.

To be honest, i think $100 will be enough. You could use live plants, sometimes these are initially cheaper, say if your local garden centre is having a sale, and these will last a while. By the time they die, you probably will have a bit more money so you could go for the fake plants, or you might have like the real ones so much you wan't more of them!

Hope this helps, Luke.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

ok so If I buy a lighting hood like this http://tinyurl.com/yvgns5
    (which is originally for a 10 gal.) with this light bulbs http://tinyurl.com/26fape and this for basking http://tinyurl.com/287mhg
    http://tinyurl.com/ywflx3 would that fine? oh and do they need live plants? or is it just more like to showoff? thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

The hood looks ok, but as for the UV lighting, that bulb isn't very good. It only emits UVA rays, and anoles need UVB. The best bulb to go for are the strip lighting ones by exoterra. These are called repti-glo i believe. I found an american reptile supply store online which sells them, here is the link: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1079

The basking spot light would be ok, just make sure it is controlled by a thermostat. Normal incandescent lights work well to, and are cheap to buy.

They don't NEED live plants, just sometimes, i find, well at least over here in England, that when the sales are on, they are a lot cheaper. Fake plants are expensive over here, and we don't really have any other stores apart from reptile stores that sells them.

Hope this helps, any more problems, don't be afraid to ask, Luke.

12. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles??

Ok, thanks, I have seen those lighting strips, but arent they a little expensive?.....oh and if those other bulbs are too expensive, would this other one work ? http://tinyurl.com/3882zy thanks for the advice.

13. 00luke00

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles

The spec on that light looks good. I can't say that i've heard of it before though. The link in my previous post, on that site they have the strip light for $9.02. seems pretty cheap, although i dunno what they're like with shipping prices.

14. plmarsg8

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE Anoles

The appropriate UVB and the hood are always expensive. Usually if I buy a 18 in hood and a 5.0 reptisun, it could cost me over 50 dollars. I am glad that you are consulting us before buying your anole. That always tells me that there are even more decent pet owners. You actually dont need any special basking bulb that the pet stores sell. you only need an incandescent bulb. It will suffice as long as it produces enough heat.

15. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE An

Yeah, I saw the link that you posted, it was just the light strip, but im talking about the lighting hood. I think those are a little expensive right? Well with the lighting hood that I posted, Those hoods hold 2 bulbs, would I need to buy the 2 bulbs for it or just one?

16. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYBE An

I also saw this lighting hood, would that be better? http://tinyurl.com/25r7vx

17. plmarsg8

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank, MAYB

The first one could only hold a UVB tube while this one can hold a basking bulb and a UVB bulb but not a tube. It really matters on you.

18. edgarmedina1010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. tank,

The first lighting hood I posted can hold those small light bulbs. and this other one seems to hold 1 light strip, 2 small light bulbs. Well anyways I was browsing craiglist.com and ran across this tank, im actually thinking of buying it ! :shock: Well Ill post pics as soon as I find out how :oops:

19. plmarsg8

20. edgarmedina1010

21. plmarsg8

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Empty 20 gal. ta

A 55 for $60 is an excellent deal

22. edgarmedina1010

Yeah and it comes with some extras....I think I might actually buy it, im talking to the owner about the pick-up arrangements.

23. plmarsg8

When you have it, give us more pics.

24. 00luke00

Wow, that's a great deal! What does it come with?

25. edgarmedina1010

Ok, Im going to pick it up today, i will try to post more pics, but the pics might not be that good since i dont have a real cam, All I got is the little cam, from the computer. I think its a good deal too, it comes with everything you see on the pics I posted, which is 55 gal aquarium w/ screen lid
    night and day lights
    log shelter
    water dish