Escaped red tail boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Brittkurr, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Brittkurr

Brittkurr New Member

Recently, my 6 foot red tail boa escaped his tank. (He even knocked the locks off the lid.) After a thorough search of the house my only conclusions are, 1. he wedged himself under my bathtub (the floor caved slightly due to the support shifting) or 2. He's hiding somewhere I didn't think to look.

I'm willing to bet on the bathroom as it is the first place he could have gotten to and where his tank is is very sparse with furniture due to me having just moved in about a month ago. I set his heat lamp up and water bowl up in the bathroom to try to coax him out.

The floor under the bathtub does not lead outside to my knowledge, as I checked the are several times before I moved in.

Does anyone have any tips on coaxing him out or places a snake that big could have wedged himself?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Good job on setting up the heat lamp. He'll be drawn to warmth. Some places to check are in towel/clothing closets (Check in all the piles of clothing/towels.), underneath dressers, behind the refrigerator, washer, dryer, freezer, televisions, in any storage area where the central heat comes from, between any beds that are pushed up against a wall, and any other tight squeezes you can think of, especially ones near any kind of active electrical unit which generates heat. If you still can't find him, you may want to try dragging one of his feeders around and leaving a scented trail to lure him into a container of some kind. You may even want to pick up a live rat and leave it in a critter keeper out in the open. The scent may lure your snake out of hiding. Hopefully you will find him soon. Thankfully, snakes can go quite a while without food, so as long as your house is not freezing, he should eventually pop up somewhere. Good luck and keep us posted!

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh boy. Good luck finding him and keep us posted!!! I would definitely try the live rat in a wire cage in the middle of the room. Also it might help during the day to close all your curtains and make it nice and dark in the house and just keep on his heat lamp in the middle of the room - hopefully he'll be drawn to both the heat and the light during the day and definitely drawn towards the scent and sounds of the rat when he gets hungry enough. Good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Brittkurr

Brittkurr New Member

I might try that, Thanks!

Also, luckily, my house is far from freezing. It stays at a toasty 75-80 all day long. I'll have to got pick up a feeder soon, he had just eaten when he got loose.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Brittkurr

Brittkurr New Member

I crawled under the house once more a couple minutes ago. My boa's gone. I found an area by the pipe that was pushed aside and was definitely big enough for him to get outside. To make matters worse, I'm pretty sure he's dead, due to the fact that people around here shoot even little snakes without a moments hesitation. I heard a shotgun go off a couple days ago, but I'm going to call animal control and put up some lost posters in hopes that maybe, just maybe I can at least find him or know for sure if someone shot him.

So, my lovely Beau is gone and likely dead.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Aw... I know how you feel. Some people are so ignorant. I had an iguana named Fred who we kept on our screen porch during the day.(lived in Florida.) and the old lady next door called animal control.