Ever wonder what herps to start with well heres the answer.

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Just_Some_Guy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Hello

If you don't agree with what I am saying then please post any corrections that you think I should make.

1. I would have to say that the best starter lizard is a leopard gecko can be kept in a 20-30gal tank for a single adult with low maintience costs and time. You may if your lucky be able to breed them but would not recommend this until you have a bit of experience. African Fat Tailed Geckos are good as well but never kept these.

2. Coming in a close second are Crested Geckos. They have not been round for long 10 years or so but there are lots of morph (colour types) avilable. There very low feeding costs (as little as £1 a month) makes a excellent pet for a budget. 3 could be kept in a XL Exo Terra Large Tank. These are my personal favourite. There are a first class pet but they are just a bit more expensive to buy then Leopard Geckos.

3. Bearded Dragons are very good for children, most are very happy to be handled. They caging and maintance costs are rather high because of there need of UV (which need replacing every 4-6 months)and large tanks. There food will also cost a arm and a leg. So I would't recommend them to a person who isn't commited. But if you've got the money then go for it. :)

This is just a breif overview of some of the easier lizards to keep. There is alot of debates currentley going on which are the best lizards for the first timer. Do plenty of research before you decide what to get. If you are going to get Crested Geckos then I would say this is a MUST have book: http://www.acreptiles.com/rhac_book.htm But what ever you decide Happy Herping

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Malice9610

Malice9610 New Member

RE: Ever wonder what herps to start with well heres the answ

I would Add in Anoles as a good beginner lizard... very common and cheap usually, at least here in the states..

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Just_Some_Guy

I don't see many Anoles for sale in the UK. I wonder why?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. rambo67

rambo67 New Member

They arent easily caught in southern England compared to the number found in southern US :wink:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Just_Some_Guy

Yer I really don't see many. Nor do I Iggys not very popular lizards

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how great anoles are for a first pet because they are so readily available here, they are VERY cheap... like $6.99 for one in my city. All the ones I've experienced (25+) have been very difficult to handle. Not to mention people trying to buy anoles normally don't want to spend much money. The ones at our store eat a lot of small crickets and they are an animal that has to have UV light, which any herper knows that can get expensive. In the end with anoles, most people catch them and then won't give them the correct lighting and caging. Then they either die or get out quickly.

I agree with the leopard geckos being the number one beginner reptile. The cresteds are great too. Personally I like the beardies, but I know they can be very expensive to maintain. Good job on your list.

12. Just_Some_Guy

Thanks. I agree they are probably a bit harder to keep healthy.

13. rambo67

rambo67 New Member

My anole hasnt tried to escape once, though im sure he could if ever did, hes a quick guy. He usually just runs to one of his many plants/vines and hides til i pull my handout. Id agree with not putting them in the list, they are expensive little guys, not themselves, but their needs.

14. Just_Some_Guy

Yes I have to agree.

15. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

There not too hard to get hold of round my area, but no-one wants them! lol.
    Iggy's arent easy to buy but look in rescue centre or on classifieds they are EVERYWHERE! LOL.
    I must say I totally agree with the list above! But from what I know AFT's are also quite easy.

16. Just_Some_Guy

Iggys the reason why there in rescue centers because 1. There readly avialable 2. The owners are not always prepared. Thats my opion

17. Ryan1990

Yep!! they get them as cute little babies and when the big males come into season and they rip they're arm open they dont want them any more! lol.

18. Just_Some_Guy

Yer nasty

19. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

besides beardies do u no wat the best to handle are?

20. Ryan1990

hmm.. well there are also lawsons (smaller species of bearded dragon) water dragons, leopard geckos, african fat tails, blue tounge skinks, crested geckos... there is probably way more but thats all I can think of :)

21. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

so basicly all of the big stuff that costs lots of money and the leopard gecko that sleeps when im akawe and wont do much. that sucks

22. mr~python

mr~python Member

fence lizards too. you cant really find them in pet stores but they are great to keep.

23. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

so breeders have fence liz?

24. mr~python

mr~python Member

no, they're not bred in captivity because they're so widespread throughout the states. they're fun to catch and keep for alittle bit though. im gonna try to breed some next year.

25. Ryan1990

Why dont you get a lawsons (the smaller bearded dragon) as these only get around 10" long so dont need such a big tank, however they will need UV lights.