EXCITED!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by lizardgurl87, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Yes, I'm planning on it-today went and got some prices and advice from breeders-but, also found out more about Red-Tailed Boas, which are now also a possible option...but, with BP's-some breeder was saying if I get a younger one(though I might just get a few year old one to start with anyways), then I should keep it in a small tank without a hide too-the smaller tank, since they like being more confined and he said they wouldn't eat if they were in a bigger tank and they were young? And w/o the hide, since it makes them more timid from hiding or something?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It depends on the individual snake, some are more timid than others but all BP's like to feel secure.

I keep juveniles up to about 250grams, or until things start looking a little tight, in 6qt plastic shoeboxes. You can buy Sterilite brand from target or most stores for about $1. The only decor in there is aspen, a PVC coupling to hold a 2oz disposable water dish and a small hide; which they may or may not use. Some just like having something physical to be pressed against them and just wedge themselves inbetween the hide and end of the bin.

Aquariums are really pretty inefficient, but are obviously the most aesthetically pleasing option for viewing your pet. Just make sure to have plenty of hides in there if you go with an aquarium so the snake feel comfortable and be prepared to combat low humidity and temperature variation.

You won't need a fogger; humidity should be around 60-70% but you never want things to be damp in there as that can lead to bacteria and mold manifestation.

BP's are incredbily simple and make great pets = ) Just make sure to get a good quality temeprature control device (i.e thermostat). You can spend a whopping $15 and set up an entire bin and heat tape to raise up a juvie, but don't skimp on the thermostat (it will be be better for the snake, and less headache for you with seasonal changes).

If you are looking into Red Tail Boas, I'd recommend checking out the BCI's... they tend to stay smaller than the true red tails. Colombians are the most common boa you'll come across at shows, but Nicaraguans and Hog Islands (and crosses) tend to remain a more manageable size as well. I have a male Hog x Colombian cross that has maxed out just under 4.5ft in length.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

AWSOME!!! i rembered how i feltt wen i got my ball!now hes thick and a bad eater! lol, hope you get the one you like!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louie

Louie Member

Thanks I have heard that snakes shed poorly as they get old but forgot all about that.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

I'm pretty sure the Red-tails I saw were BCI's, I'll try to post pics soon. I still might get a BP though, but after seeing the red-tail for real-I've always seen them, but never really "looked"-they seem pretty nice too, the one I was holding was very personable, but on the other hand-I've been wanting a BP and preparing for one for longer-they are a sort of better beginner snake too. I just didn't even get to see many BP's at the last show-the breeder I was planning on getting it from and talking too wasn't there! Hopefully, next month we'll go to, but for sure in June.

I was planning on getting an electronic thermometer/hygrometer-maybe even the more expensive, nicer thermostat, but to start out, I might just get a more simple electronic one.
    About the juvies-I just wanted to know, since that guy sort of confused me, especially with the no hide part...but, I was planning on getting a few year old adult anyways. That breeder did have pretty reasonably priced juvies, but normally juvies can cost more than adults. Plus, adults are a little more mellow and easier to handle(for me at least). Next time I go-I really hope the breeder I want is there-but, I'll see more, since by then I'm getting closer to getting one. I didn't even get any supplies really for it yet, but have a better idea of what to get and where to get things at least :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Sorry not sure if you said yet but where did you go to the show? I think I'm going to one Sunday in westchester county

12. lizardgurl87

It was in Cleveland, Ohio-I hope to go to the one in Columbus eventually-sorta far, but much bigger I'm sure :)