Exciting Action

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Monkeytailed, May 10, 2005.

1. Monkeytailed

Monkeytailed Embryo

Just wanted to announce that myself and nomad85 have been making headway with a local pet store chain in our area. We wrote a letter voicing our concerns about the well being of herps in their stores, and the next day got a call from the vice president of the company. Today at 3:30 we have a meeting with him to discuss change. If anyone has any tips or is up on the legislation concerning the keeping of herps in pet stores, please post, the more informed we are, the better! Also, if anyone is intersted in reading the letter, I will post it! Here's to some change in this industry for the better!
    One more thing- Sign that petition!
    Thanks,
    ME :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Monkeytailed

Monkeytailed Embryo

Progress

Well I suppose this is somewhat pointless because no one has read this post but I'll post again anyway. We spoke with the vice president of our local pet shop that we found problems with, and he is going to make a few minor changes, but it's a start. His biggest arguement against getting more proper setups for the animals in his care was that the animals were being sold out as fast as possible, and that his care wouldn't make much of an impact. We disagreed, but nonetheless it's a start. He said that he would try the non-adhesive shelf rather than the wood bedding in the bearded dragon cages, and that he would set up a few cages properly as an example for customers for proper reptile husbandry.
    Baby Steps!
    ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LadyCham

LadyCham New Member

You go Monkeytailed!! Pet stores can be so sad. I've gone in to petsmart so many times and have seen sick animals. It's so strange how the employees don't even seem to care. keep up the good work you two!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lturbott

lturbott Member

That is excellent Monkeytailed!! I just posted about a local shop here in town that is so bad at keeping herps. Hope someone reads it and has suggestions to make them change. I wrote the guy and have spoken to him but he doesn't seem to care. :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Great job Monk! Keep up the good work!