Exo Terra Nano Tall

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by lizardgurl87, May 6, 2012.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, I saw at one of the closer petshops to me, while I was getting crickets the other day, that they have an Exo Terra "nano" tall tank, for what seems like a reasonable price($30). This is the same place I got the nice Zoo Med 18x18x18 I currently have my anole and green tree frog in for a really good deal too(though slightly used, $50)
    It is a pretty small tank, 8x8x12(http://exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_nano.php), but I was wondering if anyone could think of anything to put in it comfortably. I was searching this on Google to see what other people said, some people said it's not big enough for really anything, some of people said they used it for hatchlings, and a few people said some small toads or frogs(which is what I was thinking).
    It is 12'' high, which seems like a pretty good height to me for a smaller animal, but then the other space(width, length)might not be enough...but, tell me what you guys think! It would be cool to have another little viv around, that wouldn't be too hard to maintain(at least compared to my bigger 18x18x18). I do like the design of these tanks(Zoo Med and Exo-Terra vivs)always too, but if I really do end up planning to get something small for a smaller tank and this one is too small, I could get a few sizes up-which don't cost that much more(also, the next size up is "mini" http://exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_mini.php 12x12x18 tall or 12x12x12 wide)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

One of my friends gave me that tank for $5 because he couldn't use it for anything... it really is too small to really have anything permanently living in it. I use it just for hatchling to juvie rhacs (Chahoua, Cresteds, and now I have a little gargoyle in there). It's a great tank though! I just wouldn't spend the money on something that I wouldn't be able to have something in full time. I just happen to have a good use for it at the moment but usually it sits around in my attic with nothing in it until I get the urge to buy another herp, lol.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Okay, if I need a spare tank-I can just get a cheaper one, I would only get one of these terrariums for something permanent. Do you think the next size up would be okay for anything?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I'm not that familiar with them.... if you take any tank and get the length, width, and height in inches you can calculate out the gallons of internal space available :) The formula is LxWxH that gives you some number of inches cubed. 1 gallon is roughly 230 cubic inches.... So a 10 gallon tank is about 2,300 cubic inches. And that's about the smallest tank you can have any readily available small reptile live in. Of course you then have to take into consideration on what type of reptile you will be putting into the tank and if it will use all of the space or if you really only care about the ground space - for example with a leo you could put one in a 55 gallon tank, but if you put it on it's side and only have the 12" by 14" side as the "ground" your leo is going to be very unhappy, lol.

I would suggest thinking about what type of animal you want to own next, then researching it thoroughly (it's enclosure space requirements, temps, humidity, food, general disposition, etc.) THEN decide on what type of tank works best for you and your new herp :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.