Favourite Colour Morphs

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Neil, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

Hello, everybody!! First post of the new forum:

I was just looking at some pictures of different colour morphs (cultivars) at www.corn-utopia.com and www.serpenco.com. There were loads of different varieties and it made me wonder what were the favourite and most popular cultivars to keep as pets. What are your favourites and what types do you own??
    At the moment I have only one corn. I did have three but sold two to a couple of my best friends. I plan to get two more in October of this year. The snake I kept is a gorgeous Carolina normal corn that is seven months old and a massive twenty-seven inches long. However, my favourite morphs are most definately butters, okeetees, hypo lavenders, opals, and motley sunglows. There are so many that I can't possibly name all my favourites- I love them all!!
    So, over to you- What are your favourites?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I just picked up my first Corns at the Daytona show last weekend. A pair of beautiful lil hypomelanistics.

Although, I saw some GORGEOUS anerythristics I almost got one or two of, but decided to wait. Absolutely beautiful. Head pattern was amazing... viewed from behind it looked like a great big elongated smiley face, lol.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

okay im new at this so please forgive any mistakes. okay my personal favorite would be the amber zigzag. however my daughter chose to have a okatee. My sister has several different types some of which are the aztec /aztec motley(im not really sure the differnce but...) also 3 sunglows(again some differences that im not sure of) also has several okatees and ghost and snow corns. i like them all but still perfer the zigzag patterns

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the zigzag patterns too... especially on an anerythristic (can you tell I like the black/silver? lol)

Ghosts are pretty too... although there's one snake on P99 of the Corn Snake Manual that REALLY caught my interest.

It's labelled as a "Hurrican Motley". Black, green & yellow in colour. After speaking with Rich Zuchowski about this photo, he tells me it's actually a jungle corn (Cali King x Corn), and not a "pure" corn.

If something similar to that were to be developed in the corn species, that would be my absolute favourite.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rainey

Rainey New Member

My favorite corn morph??? WOW! That's a tough question... a caramel motley, snow motley, blizzard, crimson motley... that's a few of my favorite. I don't think there is a single one that I don't like!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rainey

Rainey New Member

I also love zig zag patters, but I hate it when someone sells a "zig zag" with one zig and 2 zags. If I'm going to buy a zigzag, it better be all zigzag, I'm the same way with motley, if it's not 100% moltley pattern, I'm not interested.

12. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

can someone explain to me what the differences are? i can reconize the zigzag but what is a motley?

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

A motley has lots of circles down its back. The saddles actually meet up to form circles of background colour.

14. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

Mines gotta be a zig zag

15. Rainey

Rainey New Member

have you guys got pics of your corns to put up for us to see? I love to see other people's cornsnakes! Ah heck I just like to see snakes!

16. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

okay i have aquestion for ya'll......now from what i understand(which admittly is very little) a zigzag pattern sorta looks like little z's down the back of a snake.......what did she mean 1 zig and 2 zags?

17. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Just so ya know, Rainey, is a guy... My name is Ryan.

What I was talking about is sometimes zigzags are sometimes sold as zigzags when they just have a couple patches of connected pattern. If I buy a zigzag, I want it all to be zigging and zagging.

Its mostly a picky personal thing

18. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of my Anerythristic females is a lil zigzag, but there's no way I'd advertise her as such should I ever come to sell her.

She's about 50/50 normal & zigzag. I don't know if hets display some of the trait (as bloodreds apparently do), but she's definitely not a full-blown zigzag.

19. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

okay as i understand it babies change as they get older.....how do you know if ya get a snake as a baby that its going to stay or will be a full blown zig zag or half and half

20. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You don't really. Well, if you've got a hatchling that's 100% zig-zag, you can rest assured it's probably gonna be totally zig-zag when it grows up. If you've got one that's part zig-zag, it could go either way.

Patterns change a little with each shed, so you never really know what they're going to grow up like.

The only way you can really guess is by seeing how the parents were as hatchlings and as adults.

21. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

then how can pet stores sell a hatchiling as something like a zigzag and what can you do if it grows up to be something else?

22. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Pet stores often don't even know what SPECIES they're selling, let alone what the morphs are. This plus the health risks are part of the reasons I never buy animals from pet stores any more.

23. Rainey

Rainey New Member

OOOOOOO.... I hate pet stores!!!!!!

They are the most useless place to buy a pet!

They're fine for supplies as long as they don't have the clerk that is the be all and end all of pet knowledge!

24. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, there's quite a few pet stoers like that :)

25. Neil

Neil New Member

They're also usually missing the black rectangles on their bellies, are they not?