Feeder Supplies in Australia

Discussion in 'Australian Forum' started by norgan, Dec 12, 2005.

1. norgan

norgan New Member

I am after both Silky's and Mulberry Leaves as well as a good supplier of woodies and crix.

Anyone know of a mail order place or local sydney supplier of these?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

Try the herpshop in Victoria. For woodies, though, what you should do is order enough to start with then breed your own. They're very easy to breed.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. norgan

norgan New Member

oh ok, what is involved in breeding them?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. newby

newby New Member

I would also like to know what is involved in breeding woodies and crickets as it costs me a fortune in keeping 4 babies fed well.

I am in SA, and have a great supplier at the moment who i buy 1000 crickets for $40.00.

I would like to stat my own colony but dont know how to set it up and keep them breeding well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Draconium_Master

Draconium_Master New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. norgan

norgan New Member

crickets are easy, here's my quick 10 point guide:

1. small tank or box with peat and/or potting mix. approx 2-5cm deep (ensure it has no added fertilizers)
    2. get one box of large crickets.
    3. have heat similar to what your reptile tank's floor woudl be, you could use a small light but i used one of my heats mats. (you won't need it for long really)
    4. you'll see the large crickets start laying almost immediately by pushing their (egg tube? haha) the proboscus thing they have at the back of the females, into the ground.
    5. leave for a few days, feed the large crickets to your reptiles as needed
    6. in about a week you'll have one day a few thousand little pinheads boucing around the tank.
    7. of course keep your crickets fed and feed the new babies soft or new growth of vegies and greens.
    8. keep the heat while they are small, when they are the size of babie crickets i.e. 1-2mm long then you woun't need so much heat.
    9. keep them fed with greens and they will grow. space requirments can be guessed but looking at how crowded it is. if there are too many just split some out.
    10. on a few weeks you'll have crickets ready to feed at the small size and eventually large if you let them.

this is just a guide based on the batch i have going now. i have had crickets breed before and this is the first serious time i have done it. but it seems faily straight forward, in fact most of mine breed by mistake in the substrate.

hope this helps :)

12. Da_Vinci

Da_Vinci Embryo

Great guide Norgan , thanks , I had no idea of how to go about it , doesnt seem all to hard , i'll be giving that a go :)

13. newby

newby New Member

Thanks Muchly, Will give it a go

14. norgan

norgan New Member

Thanks Da Vinci, yeah i have these guys up to "small" size now (3-5mm) and am even starting to feed some of them to my smaller baby beardie. i just throw the stalks and old bits of the lizards greens in the tank as i see them running out of food. i also have some of that yellow cricket thurst quencher in there to ensure they have moisture available.