Feeding Advice

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by DancingRT, May 9, 2012.

1. DancingRT

DancingRT New Member

My beardie, Skecher, is about 5 months old. He/she (unsure which yet) is about 6-8 inches vent to snout. I feed him 10 small/medium crickets 2 times a day, and 20 small reptiworms (www.reptiworms.com) twice a day as well. I also leave a small bowl of finely/really small chopped up fruits/veggies (the same fruits/veggies I would feed to my iguana). I also leave some collard greens in there as well. Am I over feeding/under feeding, etc??? He seems to have a little bit of a belly. He seems to have a good appetite and is a VERY enthusiastic eater.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It sounds like you are feeding him pretty well - juvies at this age will be consuming insane quantities of food. The general rule is to offer salad in the morning and make it available througout the entire day, and offer 2-3 insect feedings daily allowing the dragon to consume as many as they please in a 10-15 minute period of time (until they are full, essentially). It is not uncommon for beardies going through growth spurts to eat upwards to 100 insects in a single day, though I'd say closer to the 50-60 range is more average... it really depends on the individual dragon, the type of prey item, and the size. For example, 10 medium silkworms way weigh as much as 30 crickets - so obviously this softer bodied and heavier food item will not require as many insects to fill them up.

Keep up the good work! A healthy beardie will always be very food motivated and enthusastic about feeding - I'd say keep following this routine and you will be just fine!

After a couple/few months, once your dragon reaches sub-adulthood, you can cut back insect feedings to 1-2x daily, and once your dragon is full grown you can cut insect feedings further. As an adult, salad should be the main base of the diet (75+%). Sometimes they will even let you know when they are ready to transition by taking a greater interest in salad and showing less interest in feeders, though it is not uncommon even for adults to become picky and favor their bugs = )