Feeding and shedding

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Ryan1990, May 18, 2009.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    One quick question... I've got a rat to feed to my boa and have defrosted it for just over 24 hours. I just went to feed him and he is just about to shed, there a little flakes coming off but he hasnt yet started the shed properly. Should I wait for him to shed before feeding him the rat? Or can he have it now (I'm 95% sure he'll take it as he's never turned down a feed even when close to shedding). Or should I wait and hope the rat doesnt start smelling?
    Cheers ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    24 Hrs is a very long time for a rat to be thawed out, bacteria will already be breaking the tissue down. It's never good to defrost more than 8 hrs before feeding.
    I would offer it straight away or dump it.
    Personally I defrost mine in hot water, takes about 1 1/2 hrs then feed much safer way.
    I've never had a prob with my boas eating directly before a shed so I dont think that will be any problem for you.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

I went to feed it early eveing last night and it was still cold in the middle so left it for a bit longer and forgot about it until this morning. I'm probably going to throw it away just to be safe and get him another one. Just wondering... how do you dispose of a fairly large rat without stinking out the house/garden? lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

I would agree, dump it, better safe than sorry.
    I usually put any uneaten rats in a freezer bag, tied off, then refreeze, it's then fairly easy to dispose of.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryan1990

I just put it in about 4 shopping bags and thep emtpied the bin. Rubbish is being collected tomorrow so shouldn't have time to start smelling ;) lol.
    Got a new rat and will feed it later on tonight.
    Thanks for your help.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Thats how I get rid of mine in rubbish,,freezing them helps, specially during summer.