Feeding my corn

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by corns_rock, Nov 16, 2003.

1. corns_rock

corns_rock Embryo

i own a corn who is just about to complete his second shed of his life, and i was wondering when a good time is to switch from 2 pinkies a week to 1 fuzzie a week
    thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Embryo

if it's taking 2 pinkies regularly, and taking the second one with as much vigour as the first, you can probably go up to fuzzies... We've got one right now that eats 2 pinkies/wk, but the fuzzies we have are still a lil too large for her...

The general rule of thumb is don't feed anything more than 1.5 times thicker than the thickest part of the snake's body.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. aandfgod1892

aandfgod1892 Embryo

Hey all, I was told by a so called snake expert where I bought my Amel corn from to feed him only once per week. whats all that about?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Embryo

Having a once-a-week feeding time is a good regular schedule. Even though mine get 2 pinkies/week (when they want them) they get them both together one right after the other.

Like people and any other animals, corns can grow to different sizes, and can grow at different rate. Some are satisfied after the first prey item, some want another and will start hunting for it as soon as they've finished the first, once a week is a good rule to stick by until you become more experienced with them, and get to your know snake's personality with regard to feeding.