feeding question

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Trystan, May 7, 2008.

1. Trystan

Trystan Embryo

So here is the deal I got this tokay from a kind of dodgy pet store and they told me that he was eating regularly(full grown crickets) but since I have had him he has not eaten a single cricket that I have given him. I have tried to feed him at night(removing crickets in the morning) tried to feed him in the morning (removing crickets before night). I have had him for a little over a week and this lack of eating is starting to worry me a bit. Any suggestions on hoiw to get this guy to eat would be great.

Thanx
    Trystan

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

well once you first get any kind of reptile it may take anywhere from 1 hour to 1 week to get them to eat. They have to settle down and become comfortable with the enviroment. Make sure that your gecko has at least one very good hiding spot that makes them completely unseen. If you could maybe take a pic of the set up I can help out a lot more. Also the first thing I have to ask on any case of a non eater is what are the temperatures like? I am also wondering if you have read up on any care sheets for this animal?

There is a 99% chance that your tokay is wild caught, which means that it is probably suffering from many problems. I would make sure that your tokay gets plenty of misting at night to be certain that it becomes hydrated. If temps, humidity, and hiding spots are all good it should only be a matter of days before it starts eating. Once it gains the appetite back make sure that you gutload your feeders and use supplements. After it starts to put on weight you may want to find a reptile vet in your area that can treat it for parasites.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

'greed with all of the above

spot on