Feeding the Tokay

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Frost_Wraith, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Hi, I'm kind of new here and for my first post I have a a kind of long question. Sorry. :oops: Anyways, heres my situation.

I aquired a tokay gecko about 3 months ago. I had a great time setting up the terrarium and making it look as naturalistic as possible. I loved reading and learning about them. So I was thrilled when I got my little guy. Now for the first two months, he stayed hid under his rock cave, venturing out late at night and diving back in when he saw me. I was ok with this cause I know thier shy. When I fed him, he would wait for crickets to wander past the opening of the cave and snag them, any that wandered in the other direction he took care of when I turned out the lights and left the room. ON the third month, I noticed something wrong. Gnats in the terrarium. Gag. After consulting wtih a more experianced friend. I realized I was misting his terrarium too much, and the amount of plants and the rock cave in his terrarium, were probably preventing it from evaporating fully. So I cleaned out his tank. Removed the rock cave, one of his large plants and a small plant. Well, since then, hes taken to moving around a whole lot more at night. he comes out frequently now and I see him all the time after dark. Doing allt he thingsI read that Tokays do. The problem is this.....eating.

I usually feed him about 5 crickets and hes sucked them right down, so I breifly moved up to six. He started leaving one everytime I fed him so I moved back down to five. But now recently he's been leaving one again, and last night he apprently left two. Whats going on?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reako45

reako45 Member

What kind of substrate do you have your guy on? I think it's orchid bark that holds moisture well and doesn't get too soggy. Maybe your guy's appetite is waning cuz he's about to shed. I keep Bibrons and my two big adult males will slack off on the chow right before they shed.

reako45

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Yep, using orchird bark. Reptiles stop eating before they shed? I only thought that was with Trantulas....hmmm. Thats possible.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HMWH

HMWH New Member

what do u keep your humidity at? i keep mine around 65 percent

how often do u feed him crickets?

have u ever feed him a pinkie mouse?