Feeding

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by michelle2009, Sep 27, 2008.

1. michelle2009

michelle2009 Embryo

I'm new here and I have been researching green anoles for a few months now and I have decided to get one. I have 2 bearded dragons so I have a large variety of worms that I breed already (along with crickets which I hate). One of my questions is could I feed small hornworms and silkworms?

Also what brand of UVB fluoresent tube is the best? I got a setup from a family member that they had for 2 anoles and it has an exo terra repti-glo Tropical Terrarium 5.0 tube one......BUT i also have extras (all new of course) of the Repti-sun 10.0's from my beardies.....so which one?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rawksan

Rawksan Embryo

Hi Midnight,

I see absolutely no problem in feeding hornworms and silkworms to anole, but you have to be careful about the size. For a male, the worms can be as big as 1 to 1½ inch. For female, which a generaly smaller, I offer them worms of ½ to 1 inch. These aren't exact measures, you will see it will depend on your anoles, and how they eat them. But silkworms and hornworms are very good food items!

The best brand for fluorescent for tropical species such as anoles is IguanaSun 5.0. Others are fine too. In any cases, they really should be changed not less often than every 6 months.

I think 10.0 is alot for anoles. Too much uvb has been proven dangerous for the eyes of certain reptile species. It has not been proven dangerous in anoles, but it has not been proven safe either, so I would stick with 5.0 ones. As long as the neon and the basking sources are installed properly, 5.0 have always been sufficient to anoles.

Roxane

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. michelle2009

michelle2009 Embryo

Thank you for the reply. I didn't think there was anything wrong with feeding horns/silks as well but I wanted to make sure. about half of the horns and silks that I breed don't seem to grow past an inch or two so I will have a use for them now instead of wasting them.

I will order an IguanaSun 5.0 when I order some other things online in a few days
    What's recommended for night time heat? they had the exo terra heat glo light bulb ( http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_glo_lighting.php ) or should I get a ceramic heat emitter like I have for my bearded dragons? (temps do easily drop to 50 in my home)

Thanks again

EDIT-- I forgot to mention my husband picked this up from a pet shop that's going out of business for like $15
    ( http://www.reptiledirect.com/ultrasonichum...yingfogger.aspx ) can I use that or not?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

while the wild green anoles where i am (florida) do not seem to be as sun-loving as brown anoles... i do tend to see them alot at mid-day. a 10.0 would not be unreasonable... smaller 10.0 bulbs just dont put out very much uvb.. when compared to the sun. (i have metered both).

feed a varied diet if you can.. the ones i see eat many things..

as for humidity / general temps.. go to weather.com and check the weather / temps of a few cities in west central florida or louisiana.. lots of green anoles are collected there that eventually end up in the pet trade... and that may give you a good guideline for what wild anoles would experience in temps and humidity.

also.. the iguanasun 5.0 and the reptisun 5.0 are the same bulb.. just different packaging.