Female Curly-tail not improving, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by JoshSnakeman, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

A while back I asked for help with treating my female jeweled curly-tail's condition. For a short while it seemed health was back to normal, the lizard was alert, drinking and defecating properly, etc. Eating however did not change, and it continues to refuse food of any sort.

Now normally this type of lizard is very active, investigating its surrounding (digging, running climbing everything and anyhting), but this particular lizard is extemely sluggish. It will come out in the morning, but its eyes remain shut. If touched, it will run to the corners of the tank, but the eyes stay closed. One eye does open completely, the other (the left side stays closed all the time). the lizard doesn't attempt to escape, which if you've ever kept these, you would know thats far from normal.

It will bask, and drink. Temps and humidity levels are what they should be. Substrate is a woodchip-dirt mixture. It seems unlikely to me that it ingested one of the chips, as they would be to large to swallow. I had isolated it before but it showed no signs of improvement.

-The male that she shares the tank with is in perfect health I might add.

Anybody have a clue as to whats wrong? They're usually a hardy species but I want to know what i can do before it's too late.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I know I asked this in a previous thread, but what kind of UVB bulb do you have? You said a Repti Glo 5.0. Is it the long tube fluorescent kind or the coiled compact bulb that goes in a dome fixture?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Well, I own both

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Hmm, you could try changing the UVB bulb to a new one to see if that perks her up, but the long ones are pretty reliable so hopefully that is not the issue here... Honestly it sounds like a vet visit is likely in order at this point. If you don't know of a vet that sees exotics in your area, check out http://herpvetconnection.com/ and see if you can find one there.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Unfortunately it's too late :( After months of trying to bring her back to perfect health she has passed on.

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Sorry for your loss :(

13. Cammy

Oh no, I'm so sorry! =(