First snake need husbantry and feeding advice

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Twoheal, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Twoheal

Twoheal Embryo

hi i am in the process of geting my first king snake(first snake period). i need some help seting up the first cage. i have a large cricket keeper that i plan to use for the time beeing what should i put into it so the snake is happy? the one i am intrested in is a 3 month old broken stripe male with a blackish blue body. i also need to set up a feeding schedual for him. also i am going to start building his adualt cage but i will post that question on another board. thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lplasc

lplasc New Member

Make sure you have some type of substrate you could used paper towels or aspen shavings. make sure you have at least two hides one in the cold side and one in the warm side. also make sure it has a water bowl. you should also have a UTH. If you could tell us the dimensions of the cricket keeper because i don't think is going to be big enough to hold the snake. just keep in mind when you first get your snake leave it alone for a week while they get accustom to their new surrounding's.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Twoheal

Twoheal Embryo

o srry its 12" tall 8" wide and 10" tall i have paper towel down and one hide box i can get another hide box and a uth also should i get a grape branch also should i put a humid hide in ?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lplasc

lplasc New Member

well for a baby snake you need at least a 5 gal tank. Also the only time you need a humid hide is when the humidity is really low and the snake is blue.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Twoheal

Twoheal Embryo

ok i will just get a ten gallon because there cheaper :? for the setup i will use a uth with a tile for heat displacement paper towel/aspen beeding two hides a water dish and a grape vine for climbing space sound good?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lplasc

lplasc New Member

yes thats even better getting a 10g tank. would like to see some pics once you get your snake.