First Time Tokay (Help Plz)

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by GhostDogg, Dec 3, 2009.

1. GhostDogg

GhostDogg Embryo

Hello people Im new to the forum, i would like to ask some questions as I am looking to get 2 tokay gecko's and just wanted your oppinions...

I have made my own vivarium...its 46'' high x 18'' diameter x 24'' length....now would this be large enough to house 2 tokay geckos?? Originaly I made it for leopard geckos but changed my mind, so I put the viv on its side and am going to work with this...ive searched all over the internet but have got very mixed responses so thought it would be best to ask in here.

Can anybody help?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

That's very small for two adult tokays. I made my tank out of an old dresser and it's pretty big.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Tokay's are bigger than leopard geckos, you're going to need a bigger setup.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

About twice the size of that maybe. Building it comes pretty cheap but you have to worry about mold in the wood( which I have and can't figure out of to get rid of :( )

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Hey Tokaygirl

How to remove mold:
    It's usually safe to keep using moldy wood once you've cleaned it up. Although there might be some small amount of mold left below the surface of the wood, it shouldn't regrow and cause problems provided you keep the moisture in your home to a minimum. If the wood is painted then it's even better news since the mold probably wouldn't have penetrated into the surface of the wood.

To clean moldy wood wipe or scrub the mold from the surface using a sponge, cloth or scrubbing brush, along with some water and detergent, or any other household cleaner.

You can use a mold killer if you want, such as bleach, although it isn't necessary as the main goal is just to remove mold from the surface. There are always going to be small amounts of mold and spores in your home anyway, so trying to kill all the mold spores isn't the aim. Plus dead mold spores are still allergenic.

How to remove mold stains:
    Once you've cleaned mold growth off wood there might still be a mold stain left behind. Don't worry, this is just a cosmetic problem and the mold shouldn't regrow as long as your house doesn't have any big moisture problems. And if you do get moisture problems then mold will grow in your home whether or not there's a mold stain left behind anyway.

If you don't like the look of the stain you can sand the wood if you want. This should usually remove the stain, although sometimes the mold stain might run deep into the wood so that it can't be completely sanded away.

Another way to get rid of left over mold stains is to use a small amount of bleach to fade it away. This could discolor the wood though so it's a good idea to do a spot test.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. Carry on :p

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Thanks I'm gonna try that! ^_^