Food Testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by nakedjellybean, Mar 11, 2005.

1. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

I have read alot of different things about alot of different foods and things. I would like to know where could I get things tested? {for example} If I went and bought 3 kinds of dog food, and wanted to compare the ingredients and nutritional value to 3 kinds of bird food, where would I go to do the testing?
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated, and I thank everyone in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

I dont know what you'd accomplish by testing two different types of food for two different types of animals. But, I also dont know where you'd go for that, so I guess I didnt help at all.

-J

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

No, he wants to test the three kinds of dogs food against eachother, and then the 3 bird foods together. He wants to compare nutritional values, because he is planning on opening a pet store. I would check with St. Lawrence and/or queen's to see if they have a lab department that could do it. That would be your best bet, or at least a starting point for you.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Ohhh .. Hehe, thanks for clearning that up! Heh .. I was confused. I also needed the background info, but even if I had that, it wouldnt have helped, lol.

-Julez AKA SLow Blonde

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Let's see, the dog food should have the nut. info on the bag. Especially if it's high-quality stuff. Or I'm sure they have it on their website. Dog owners can be pretty into that stuff.
    Bird seed might be tough. You may have to actually find a testing lab to do it. Not sure how to find one, but I can imagine it'll be quite expensive.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

When I first bought my dog's food, I sat in the store for an hour reading the sides of the panels. A lot of dog food has to be approved by a certian originaztion.

12. nakedjellybean

thank you for the advise. I will give the schools a try.
    I am actually looking to determine the ingredients as well. I would like to know what is in some of the animal foods out there, not just dog and bird but all sorts. Just as an example I would like to analyze Nutrafin fish food to find out the ingredients and rough amounts. I keep hearing about how dog food or fish food are bad for your reptiles, I would like to know exactly why. They are lots of things I am just curious about and where to analyze pet foods is one of them. :D

13. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

DOg food is made for dogs' metobilisms. Just like if you feed a dog cat food, sure the dog can eat the food, they can live on it, however it is formulated for cats, so it is highed in calories and lower in some nutrition. A dog would eventually get sick.

-Julez

14. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

Hmmm what about feeding a cat dog food?! I do that all the time...

and I gutload crix on fishfood when i am outta everything else...

damn

15. nakedjellybean

I know they can eat and "live" on them, but what does "formulated for their metabolisms" mean exactly. I understand that dog food is for dogs and all that stuff. I am curious as to what is the difference, what do they use to make it good for dogs or cats or whatever. I know that fish food and cricket food can have the same ingredients but in different amounts. I just want to get some tests done to see. Or at least find out where and how much the tests may take.